Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Repair Panels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by heavy4x4, Jan 5, 2004.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm going to be doing some minor rust repair soon on my truck before the rust takes over. My question is, where should I get my repair panels and stuff from? LMC? JC Whitney? ??? I'm looking basically for good quality for the price. I can understand some modification needed, but I don't want these things to not fit right at all. Mainly I'll be doing rocker panels, rear wheel arches, lower door skins...and I'll be welding them in.

Please give me your experiences (good or bad) with the various places. Thanks.

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I got mine from JC Whitney (inner outer rockers) fit was ok, but the longer inners still dont cover everything.
    I think tabco is going to be the one with the thickest gauge metals, but I haven't ordered from them. My floors and tailgate came from gm, my fenders and inner fenders i got threw a body shop pretty cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would say buy GM pieces while you can. Aftermarket fit/finish from all I've ever heard is nowhere near what GM pieces are. You can save a $1, and spend 4 hours making it fit, or spend $4 and spend no time making it fit.

4. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Do not buy JC Whitney, they are horrible. I went to a local shop that sells repair panels. Made in Taiwan but better than my past experience with JC Whitney.

-Chris

5. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

the pieces i bought from JC Whitney were made by Tabco.
    the outer rockers fit great, the inners i dont think they are actually made to cover the whole inner rocker, so i just made that out of 16 gauge sheet.
    i would look for junkyard doors instead of doing the patch panel on them.
    but if you do that patch panel, body panel adhesive is also an option.

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got my rockers for $10 ea from www.absautosupply.com
    (look under C10/30)
    and made the inner rockers...

You may want to just replace the doors...
    since aftermarket doors run $50...
    patching the door will cost as much in material..

7. dodgedude99

WOW that place is cheap on the doors, all the other Jap Tin places wanted about $150 each.
    but i would look for GM doors first, the Jap Tin likes to rust, dent easy, and not line up like OEM.

8. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would say buy GM pieces while you can. Aftermarket fit/finish from all I've ever heard is nowhere near what GM pieces are. You can save a $1, and spend 4 hours making it fit, or spend $4 and spend no time making it fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are OEM rocker panels still available from GM?

9. coreyk5

coreyk5 1/2 ton status

I bought fenders, rockers, and a new tailgate shell from a local dealer. The parts were all made in Canada, and the fit and finish is excellent. I think i paid $90 per front fender, and 20 per rocker.
    Look in your local yellow pages, and ask questions. Any reputable dealer will be straight with you. This place is even giving me a discount (15%) because i have been a repeat buyer.
    geez, most of us that use our rigs are gonna be repeat customers. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I bought fenders, rockers, and a new tailgate shell from a local dealer. The parts were all made in Canada, and the fit and finish is excellent. I think i paid $90 per front fender, and 20 per rocker.
    Look in your local yellow pages, and ask questions. Any reputable dealer will be straight with you. This place is even giving me a discount (15%) because i have been a repeat buyer.
    geez, most of us that use our rigs are gonna be repeat customers. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

how much did you pay for the tailgate shell?

11. dodgedude99

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that price cant be for OEM or NOS parts.
    my buddy is the service manager for the local chevy dealer, dealer cost on a GM door was over $400.

12. coreyk5

coreyk5 1/2 ton status

sorry, should have been more specific. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Body Parts dealer, not GM dealer. Sorry for the confusion.
    I spent about $200 out the door for the tailgate, which included no weatherstrip, hinges, cables, window parts, etc. If you need all of it, it's considerably more.

13. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

check out inteuro body parts.. try 1-800-432-8013, they have a website somewhere..

14. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

LMC panels suck. A well known fab guy installed a new passenger side floor board for me, and he did a great job, but the piece it self was a piece of $hit. Lines didnt match up, was thinner guage steel, just crap. I will never buy body parts from LMC again. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif