Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Repair rear axle, 90 K1500 Sub

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Foy, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Foy

Foy Registered Member

My 90 half ton Sub, stock, daily driver, non-trail rig, 185,000 miles, is doing some serious whining from the rear end, especially when cold. We're wondering if we need to adjust or replace the rear end gears (they're original).

If we replaced parts, we'd probably want to go back with the same gears, Gov Lock, and such.

The question is: is a case spreader needed to pull the carrier on the stock 10 bolt? Can this be done on the truck, or is it necessary to pull the assblbly and work from the bench? Are the rear axle bearings lubed from the gear oil, or should we assume we need to pull them and replace or repack?

Guess we could find a replacement 10 bolt, do the bench work, and install the whole piece, too, if need be.

Any advice appreciated.

Cooper

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The only special tool needed for pulling any parts is a bearing puller.

You aren't going to "adjust" the rear gears, perhaps a few parts are worn out, but you will set the gears back up as close to correct as possible. (hard to get a "new gear good" pattern with used gears)

If you haven't ever done this before, and haven't really researched it, you may want to reconsider. It will involve a few assemblies/disassemblies to get everything right, involves setting up the pinion with proper preload, etc.

Usually a lot easier and cheaper to find a used axle and just swap it over, especially if a stock axle works fine for you.

Don't get me wrong, I'll never tell someone they CAN'T do something themselves, but setting up gears correctly takes time and patience, (a lot of both most times) which may be more than you realize if you've never tried to repair a rear axle before.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

sounds like carrier bearings as a possibility..

4. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Dorian pretty much hit it on the head. with that many miles you should get a new gear set and remove the glov lock and replace it with a limited slip. The glov locks are well known for blowing up, thats my opnion and I'm sure others will agree and I would bet its worn out anyway. If you cannot preform the work a good differential shop can do the work in about a half a day.