Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Repaired shock mount? - Pics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mouse, Apr 7, 2004.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

While adjusting the brakes and cleaning/painting the frame in prep for the suspesion lift, I found this odd weld. I've read that the rear shock mounts break easily. Is this a repaired rear shock mount?
    [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

is that the pass side rear, to the front of the rear axle?

yes, it looks like the frame cracked and it was welded back

mine hogged out both shock stud holes, so I bent and bolted some 1/4 inch plate on, then welded, now it is 10x stronger then stock

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Passenger rear shock showing. Nothing else seems abnormal in the area. In fact the weld looks like someone just ran a bead there.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

that sir, looks more like a frame crack/ frame crack repair than a shock mount repair.

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

After checking out the other side of the frame, I see that another weld bead has been run on that side as well.

Do you think that I will have any concerns with the frame while wheeling? I see that a Missouri Offraod sells a new cross member for rear shock mount issues....any thought? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Mabe the PO just though it would be cool /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

That is fairly common.Mine was worse than that.I V'ed out all the cracks inside and outside the frame and welded them up sorta like that.Nothing to be concerned about,just maybe inspect the area once in a while incase it decides to open back up /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Oh yea,and while yer down there ya might wanna check out the drivers rear shock mount also just to make sure everything is cool over there.Those are known to have bigger problems/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

found the same thing on my frame when i started cleaning all the goo off of it on Friday. not only cracks almost all the way through at the frame box (that had been plated) but also a plated drivers side rear shock mount. i think the scrap man is calling for my frame. i gotta see if i can talk my buddy out of the C10 swb frame i sold him a few months back.

9. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I checked the drivers side rear shock mount and it looks OK. It seems odd that it would be a bracket above the frame, but I suppose they did that for the staggering of the shocks. I looked the rest of the frame over and its good to go. I've already installed an ORD brace up front. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif