Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Repairing my Electric Tailgate

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SkyScraper, Nov 8, 2002.

1. SkyScraper

SkyScraper Registered Member

Ok I bought a Motor and a the Regulator Transmission from a guy on here and they both seem to be perfectly fine. But today I got my new cable from LMC. I installed and the window went down no problem, but when I try to go up nothing happens. So I spent 2 hours trying to find the problem it seems to me to be the little switch up in the tailgate that is attached to latch. Do these go out alot?

So I tried adjusting the tailgate so that the latch would close even tighter. Still no luck. How tight does that latch have to be? Does the new ones require the tailgate to close that tight? If so, I'm SOL because the latches won't go in further in. Any ideas.....any one? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

if the switch has two wires on it remove the connector and put a jumper wire in the connector, if it only has one wire, jumper that wire to ground, if it works with the switch bypassed, the switch is faulty, if it still doesn't work, the switch isn't the problem.

3. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

I had the same trouble last year and believe is or not wd40 cleared it up, I just sprayed the switch, I dont know if it made the switch open and close better or if it cleaned up the contacts, but it's working for me so far.

Matt

4. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

I second 95 Silverado...I had the same problem of one way (new motor actually rolled the opposite of the old) window, and I bypassed it, then teh window worked. Bad cut-off switch, and it's right at the driver-side corner of the tailgate.