Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Repairing rust holes not hole panels?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TheeColonel, Nov 26, 2006.

1. TheeColonel

TheeColonel Newbie

Hey guys I was wandering what the best way to repair the rust holes in my blazer were. I just want to cut the rust out and put down some sheet metal in its place. I was gonna use that jb weld stuff to hold the new pieces in place. Then put truck bed liner on the inside and out. What do you think?

Hey! When is part 2 of the rust replacement gonna be done? I read the 1st part and have been waiting for the 2nd!!:D

2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I would suggest a real welder, or just riveting the pieces in. Not sure if JB Weld is the best way to go. I have one last patch that we never welded on, which is the bottom front of the rear quarter, that I think I`m going to just rivet on...

3. TheeColonel

TheeColonel Newbie

I had thought about just getting a cheap welder from walmart or sears. Would that be ok. It doesnt have to be real powerfull does it? And is it 20gauge sheet metal I would need? I dont care how pretty it looks cause im just gonna spray over it.

4. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

probably have to get a mig that'll weld that thin, probably with gas shield

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

X eleventybillion. JB, glue, duct tape, bailing wire, etc etc is not the way you want to try rust repair. As for just fixing the actual holes...that is probably a fantasy as well. Usually there is a large area around each hole that is very weak and rust eaten too and should all be cut out and replaced. This weakened area is impossible to successfully weld or rivet to and will also need cutting out.

Rust repair is such a sh!tty job, you may as well do it as best you can so you don't have to do it again a few months later.

Rene

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Should be able to find a good deal on welders with Christmas sales and all!!! :D

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

No substitute for a weld!...BUT!

I'd weld or at least braze or rivet the patches on...especially if its a structural panel thats a critical part of the body,like one that holds the body to the frame,or seat belt bolts,etc..

But I have seen a new panel adhesive made by the 3M company,that many body shops around here are now starting to use more and more..I've been told its so strong the repair panel or the old metal will actually tear and rip apart if you attempt to remove it once it is cured! :eek1:.

They use it mostly on door skins and patch panels that are cosmetic,but claim they wouldn't be afraid of it on other parts..many of the body shop owners were very skeptical of this stuff when it first came about--but now use it a lot,instead of mig welding a patch panel on now..they were evidently impressed with its strength and durability..(though I wonder how it holds up to salt exposure after a few years!)..

I still think welds are better,but with todays newfangled chemistry,I wont be suprised if the GLUE cars together in the not so distant future!...:crazy:

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

You mean the Hummer, with a laminated aluminum body? :rolleyes: Scurrrrry stuff, that ... yep, glued together.

-- A

9. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Lotus Elise is glued together, as well.

If it's a non-structural panel (and I have to think it is, if you're replacing it with 20 gauge sheet), then panel adhesives are a good way to go.

If you cut ALL of the rust out, you can seal the metal up to the edge of the glue line before applying the adhesive and it should be good to go forever. It won't burn away the paint like welding and it won't rub the paint off like riveting. It's cool stuff.

You can check some out here: http://www.lord.com/tabid/3400/Default.aspx

Most painter's supply houses carry it.

10. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

Ive used the 3M brand of adhesives, and that stuff is strong. We glued together two panels and then welded together two and put them in a frame machine. The welds broke before the glue did, and when the glued one pulled apart it tore the metal not the glue.

11. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

20 guage??? I used 12 guage and worried it wouldn't be stong enough. Just something to consider. And weld for sure I would. Anyone can use a mig welder, well almost anyone.