Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

repairs before roll cage install?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tp85, May 21, 2002.

1. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My truck's body mounts are original, and greatly deteriorated. In some cases, almost complete missing. I guess this means that the body could be slightly sagging or misaligned?

If so, then it would be foolish to install a cage before I replace the mounts. I'm assuming that welding/bolting up the cage would stiffen up the body in the wrong (i.e. current) alignment. Replacing the mounts after the cage could be a problem if the cage prevents the body from flexing back to the original shape.

Is my reasoning correct?

Are there any other repairs that I should consider before installing the cage (probably S&W)?

2. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

You are right! Definitely get the body where you want it with doors closing nicely, and body seams straight before you put in the roll-cage. JT

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

the body is pretty stucturally stable so it wont move too much even if the body mounts are not there.but if you are going through the trouble of putting a cage in you want to have the body attached where you want it.i just replaced mine from chevy duty.polyurethane bushings are only 99 dollars for the complete kit.the hardest part is getting the old mounts and bolts out to put the new ones in.it took me about five hours to get mine in.the best way is to put a scissor jack in between the frame and body near the middle where the tranfer case is after you get the bolts losse to lift the body off the frame.at least this is how i did it.its the only way i could see doing it with out a crane