Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Repetitive "clunk"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by caryhenry, Feb 28, 2003.

1. caryhenry

caryhenry Registered Member

Repetitive \"clunk\"

I have a sound coming from the front of my rig wich is a nice clunk which seems to happen everytime the front wheels rotate. I can only hear this at low speeds, and i think it's a front u-joint but I'm not sure. Does anyone else have any suggestions on what this problem may be?

2. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

Re: Repetitive \"clunk\"

mine does the same thing when i crank on the steering wheel real fast one direction and then crank over to the other side....not sure what causes it though.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Most of the time it is bad spring bushings, or bad ball joint.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I doubt it's a front u-joint. On your '85 the front shouldn't be spinng in 2WD. Check the u-joints out back, the auto hubs, if you still have them, front spring bushings & shackles, and steering parts. Also if you have the gov-lock rear it might be that.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Mine makes the same noise also. Only when locked and turning the steering wheel hard over. The sound makes me believe it is someting binding and then letting go and then binding again. If you figure out what it is let me know.

6. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

I had the exact same deal with my truck. I had to have the hubs locked to hear it and turns out that my front left u-joint had lost all of the needle bearings from under a cap which of course left the trunion free to move around just slightly but enough to cause the clunk. Give yours a real close look and if you can, spin the shafts through by hand. The bad joint was obvious when I saw it literally fall and clunk as it was spun.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I doubt it's a front u-joint. On your '85 the front shouldn't be spinng in 2WD. Check the u-joints out back, the auto hubs, if you still have them, front spring bushings & shackles, and steering parts. Also if you have the gov-lock rear it might be that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has a locker in the front, and hubs locked, even in 2wd he could have that clunck.
    I broke my axle ujoints yesterday in 2wd locked hubs going down.
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif