Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replace 250 with 6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 3 on the tree, Apr 6, 2005.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about pulling the 250 outta my 70 Blazer and popping in a 6.2. Will my 3 speed manual hold up to normal driving and mild wheeling? If I remember correctly, the bellhousing will bolt up and I can use SB mounts and perches. This rig has no PS, PB, or AC, so no vacuum lines, or changing hoses around to worry about. What else, other than exhaust and elec fuel pump will I have to deal with? I can score a 4 core rad pretty cheap, so I have that covered.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd think your tranny would live a long time behind the 6.2 under normal driving conditions. It does have the potential to frag the tranny if you abuse it long and hard though...although i'm pretty sure the 6.2's output falls into the range of acceptable input torque. Those old 3 speeds were reasonably stout.

Rene

3. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

You don't even have to worry about an electric fuel pump if you use the mechanical pump on the side of the diesel.

If you plan to make a four core gas radiator work know that the water connections are larger on the diesel engine so you will have to work out the difference in hose diameters. Also you will have to do something with the oil cooler lines on the engine. In a normal application they run to the diesel specific radiator which has an internal cooler. You will have to improvise.

Whatever you do be sure that you document the swap well and report here. :cool1:

4. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Fuel return line to the tank ?????You will need that !!!