Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replace 700R4 cooler lines

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zhgrou6, Dec 28, 2003.

1. zhgrou6

zhgrou6 Registered Member

My transmission cooler lines are rusted out and starting to leak! I can't find replacements. I've patched them with 5/16 rubber fuel line, but come on... I want STEEL in MY Blazer!.

LMC truck has lines for the TH350 and the TH400 but not for what I have: the TH700R4. LMC is offering me ZERO HOPE that they can supply what I need. (LMC are you listening?)

Sooo... anybody have a good source for these lines?

Charlie B.

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

700R4.com

These guys have a nice kit to replace the lines with and it's supposed to be easier to use than solid hard lines too.

I just did my whole system with rubber lines until I can go braided stainless. I guess I'll just do mine one at a time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. zhgrou6

zhgrou6 Registered Member

Hey nice. New lines on order. Thanks. More expensive than the LMC lines ($129 vs $55) BUT the flexible lines on the radiator end make for easier installation. And you still get steel lines along side the oil pan where damage can occur. The flex to hard line interface appears to be a compression fitting rather than hose and hose clamp arrangement. I'm worried about the tubing fittings on the tranny case - looks like a tight fit. The bowtie site you sent me to talks about special wrench to get in there. But I bet it is just a tubing wrench they are talking about. Looks like I need a 1/2 wrench. Other than that should be a do-able task. I'll try to give a full report next weekend!

Charlie B.

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I just pulled the fittings on mint and I used a 1/2" flare nut and an 11/16" or 5/8" (can't recall which end) on the other fitting on the tranny.

Since it's actually two pieces going into the tranny, an adaptor and then the line itself, it's actually really easy to get out. (unless it's stuck)

They are hard to get to if you don't have a body lift, or a removable floor hump. I pulled the tranny hump out of my truck to get to them from above, makes it much easier. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how it went.

5. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I can tell you getting those hard lines lined up right is no easy task, I spent lots of time getting them right as I have pulled my 700r4 twice.