Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replace harmonic balancer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by garlicbreath, May 17, 2006.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

So how do you know if you need to replace a harmonoc balancer? I am building my 91 roller motor again and reusing the original balancer. It seems pretty common to just reuse it.

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I make the judgement call based on how it looks. Often you can see the rubber is coming apart and you don't want that, also if i'ts really oil soaked I'll prob. replace it.
    It never hurts to paint a thin line across both halfs, that way you can tell if it shifts.
    Cary

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

A decent aftermarket balancer runs $60 or so last I checked, I figured why chance it with a new motor when I built mine.

Just my opinion of course, if you trust the way it looks, and can verify that it hasn't already shifted, it's your call! :)

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I would replace it as well if its going to see any street miles at all ( I reused one on mytrail rig project , but thats going to see maybe 500 miles a year tops ) .

I have had one come apart before , you don't want that . It stays behind the pulley , makes noise as it grinds a hole the front cover :eek1:

5. theperfectgarage

I've sold a lot of inexpensive aftermarket balancers, you're right on the price. What i don't really know is how " decent" they are. Mind you, I'm known to be really picky about my builds.

6. dyeager535

If I were home I'd tell you who mine was made by.

I only bought stuff from a friend that worked at a race parts store, and sold/used tons of products. He never recommended anything that was overkill for my street application, but also never sold me anything that failed or that he didn't sell on a regular basis that had proven worthy.

I *think* it's got powerforce in the name, either as maker or as the type. Wasn't expensive, but was as good quality as you can tell by looking at/installing. I'm extremely picky myself, (my motor took what, 4 years? lol) and wouldn't run anything I didn't have faith in.

7. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When I was adjusting the timing on my engine recently I noticed that the balancer looked wobbily. Is this normal or do I have a real problem?

8. theperfectgarage

Couple of things to check, the balancer itself could be coming apart, check the rubber part. Also could be coming off the crank :eek1: pull it off and check the keyway and bolt. Hope not, that can get ugly. (ruined crank ).

9. dyeager535

If it's dirty or miscolored it can also throw your vision off, but a close inspection is a good idea, as mentioned above.

10. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Every book I've read about engine rebuilding says that you shouln't re-use a balancer. That's just what I've read, though.

11. dyeager535

12. theperfectgarage

That balancer looks pretty good, I like the timing marks and you can't beat the price.