Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replace Muncie 4 speed with TH400 in '71 Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stumpbumper, Apr 20, 2004.

1. stumpbumper

stumpbumper Newbie

Replace Muncie 4 speed with TH400 in \'71 Blazer

I want to replace the Muncie 4 speed and 205 transfer case in my 71 Blazer with a TH400 with a 205 transfer case out of a '73 3/4 ton chevy pickup. What problems will I encounter? Will the cross member still match, will the drive shafts still fit, what linkage problems will I encounter, etc. A little info on the Stumpbumper. I've owned it since it came off the transport in 1971. It's been on the cover of 4 Wheeler Magazine 2 times and in articles in 4 Wheeler and Toyota Shop Talk magazines. It's on the third motor, has been ice raced, off road raced, rolled and lived through 2 teen aged daughters. That't just the highlights. Help me get it back on the road with the TH400 so it's easier to handle around town. Stump is now mostly a show machine--at least until I put the first big ding in its beautiful body work.<font color="black"> </font> /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. stumpbumper

stumpbumper Newbie

Re: Replace Muncie 4 speed with TH400 in \'71 Blazer

Hey fellows, talk to me. I need your help. Some of you must have gone through this swap.

3. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Re: Replace Muncie 4 speed with TH400 in \'71 Blazer

If you grabbed the crossmember and all the linkage from the donor it is going to be fine. You will need to find the correct size driveshafts. The front one should be same lenght or close to it and the rear one will need to be shortened I think.