Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replace my D60 ujoints? They are fine now... BUT...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KRAZIE87K5, Mar 20, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I've been running my 60 for about 1 season now. When I installed it, there were new joints in it... but I don't know what kind they are.

I've since installed 42" TSLs, hydro assist, and beefed up the 454 some. I am wondering if its worth $100 and my time to install some Spicer solid u-joints in there just for peace of mind. The ones in there are fine now... but I don't really want to risk blowing a ujoint, and having it take out the stub shaft too.

If you were in my shoes, and didn't really have the $$$, but wanted to play it safe, what would you do?

Thanks all... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Perhaps later on you can look into it, but right now even with my 60, I'm running the existing joints and calling it a day for now.

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Yea, the "ain't broke, don't fix it" thing has never worked real good with me. I just like pissing money into the truck too much! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Really though, I don't have the cash for CTMs, and Spicer solids are the next best thing in line. If I blow up the axle though... maybe I can look into dropping in a 35 spline setup! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Anyone else?

-Dan

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Do like I did, get the spicers, install them, and keep the others for spares. You don't really want to break one of those since it often takes out the shafts and sometimes a knuckle. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

*shrug*, I never broke a joint with my 44, let along the 60 I'm installing now. I think I'll be fine with stock joints, as thats what was in my 44 up til the 5-760x's came out.

6. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

So do you guys reccomend not running the greasable spicer joints? Because I am getting the 35 spline kit soon but it comes with greasable joints which I've heard are weaker because of the hole trough them. Would non greasable be better? Let me know. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -fLeXy K20

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do like I did, get the spicers, install them, and keep the others for spares. You don't really want to break one of those since it often takes out the shafts and sometimes a knuckle. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yea, the "ain't broke, don't fix it" thing has never worked real good with me. I just like pissing money into the truck too much! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Really though, I don't have the cash for CTMs, and Spicer solids are the next best thing in line. If I blow up the axle though... maybe I can look into dropping in a 35 spline setup! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Anyone else?

-Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then do it right with new joints and 35 spline outers too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I haven't broke mine either. But one of the guys out here who did wound up spending several hundred dollars and lots of searching to find parts to fix what got torn up... You need at least one spare anyway, and this is a good way to get maximum benefit with minimal chance of breakage...