Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replaced blower motor, now won't start

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernblazer, Jan 15, 2006.

1. southernblazer

southernblazer Registered Member

I replaced the blower motor on my 94 Chevy Blazer (fullsize K1500, 5.7L) and now it wont start. The blower motor now works fine with the key turned, but engine wont start. It spins over but will never start. The battery has plenty of juice and I've tried jumping it, but I dont think that is the problem.

When you replace the blower motor is it possible to damage the ecm? I started working on it before I realized the battery was still connected, I hope that didnt damage the ecm, or something else.

The service engine light doesnt come on when you turn the key and I think it usually does. I wonder if it needs to be reset or unplugged. It was running fine before.

Thanks for any help.

2. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

You didn't by chance snag the power wire to the dizzy did ya??? Or maybe pop a fuse???

3. southernblazer

fuses seem ok. all the connectors around the ecm look ok. the ac/heater now works fine with key on engine off, but truck just turns over. The service engine light never comes on, but I think it's supposed to come on for a few seconds when you first turn the key.

I just wonder if I fried the ecm by not disconecting the battery beforehand.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've done that job on our '94 Sub. What a pain in the a$$ to get up under the dash! Check all of the wiring harnesses around the ECM. Disconnect the battery and then unplug each connection around the area you were working in and then plug them all back together. You might have just knocked something loose.

If that doesn't work, then it's time to break out the wiring schematics and start doing some troubleshooting. :(

5. southernblazer

thanks, I'll take another look at it tonight. I've checked the connectors and they all seem ok but I'll go over them again. I think there may be a ecm fuse under the dash as well as the one in the fuse box near the parking brake, I'll try to locate it to see if it is ok.

6. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

My 87 Buick has a connector near the battery for ECM power.
    If yours is the same way, maybe it became disconnected.

7. southernblazer

thanks, I'll check for that. I think there may be a seperate fuse or relay under the dash or hood just for the ecm, I'll check that also.