Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replaced fin/tube w/ stacked plate...wow, what a difference!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Sep 28, 2003.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Well, I think I've solved my cooling problem! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I replaced the old Hayden fin/tube cooler (have no idea how long it was on there) w/ a new Hayden stack plate from PepGirls, kit# 679, 3/4" x 11 3/8" x 11". The new stack plate was about 25% bigger in surface area than the old fin/tube.

I have been running at around 200 - 210 degrees w/ the old fin/tube. Took her out today w/ the new gear...never even touched 175! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The air temp today was 5-10 degrees cooler but I conservatively estimate I got 20 degrees out of the new cooler. Just extended the life of my transmission and am loving it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's also a big relief b/c I thought I screwed myself running 33s on 3.08s.

Oh, here's a pic of my install. Used the center member of the front clip to mount one side and then used a bracket to get the other side.

[​IMG]

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

how much did that bay boy run ya? I might have to move my tube/fin tranny cooler over to my powersteering system and get a cool stacked plate for my tranny...

j

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nice job! Make sure all the rubber lines are well protected from sharp edges though.

Got any pic's of your truck on the 33's yet? I don't think I've seen any /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Rene

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

shouldnt you be on the road already? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Grant

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I could be wrong......but
    I believe it is designed to be a "cross-flow" setup.
    That means the in-out ports should be on the bottom.
    That keeps the fluid from "waterfalling" down the fins and keeps the fluid more evenly distributed in the cooler and in contact with the fins longer.

If its keeping your temp down..its working ok /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Wednesday morning. Should be crossing into WA about 9:30 am or so. Prolly stop near the Idaho-Utah border wednesday night and grab some Z's...be in Moab by easrly afternoon Thursday. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It's 1170 miles for us...

Rene

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Finally a testimonial that shows the tube/fin design are NOT as effective as the stacked plate aux. tranny coolers!!!! I've been recommending that people swap out their tube/fins for quite a few years now and I get a lot of "they cool just as good as a stacked plate" responses.

Hopefully some of them will read this post and see that I'm not the only one who's saying it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif now go get me some elk meat/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Same one I have put on all my trucks. work great and take a beating. Took some gravel spray one time....did fine. the exposed radiator was beat up pretty bad.

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Heh, my radiator never see's anything- its protected by the condenser for my AC, which is protected by a stacked plate, tranny cooler, in series with a finned cooler, and the other side is my oil cooler. there's maybe only.. 10 square inches of the condenser not being covered!

11. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I could be wrong......but
    I believe it is designed to be a "cross-flow" setup.
    That means the in-out ports should be on the bottom.
    That keeps the fluid from "waterfalling" down the fins and keeps the fluid more evenly distributed in the cooler and in contact with the fins longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

the directions on my B&M stacked plate tranny cooler said to put the in and out ports on the top, to help let air bubbles out. so that's how i mounted it. i don't have a temp gauge, but i haven't had any problems yet. just my $.02 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

rick

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

well, its 1300 miles for me....
    BOTH WAYS!!
    sorry, had to rub it in. now somebody like MOABdad is gonna tune in here and say, i just wake up put my socks on and hit the trail...
    Grant

13. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

jekbrown,
    The cooler was $75 and it came w/ all the hoses and clamps, zip ties (which I didn't use) etc. Grim was the one that put me on to that cooler...thanks, Grim! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene,
    Oh yeah, I made sure the hoses weren't near any sharp edges. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I zip tied (w/ my own zip ties, not the ones that came w/ the kit) the hoses loosely in those positions to keep any severe kinks out. I'll try to snap some pics of the new 33s...kind of missing summer now though...not much daylight it seems like when I get home from work! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris,
    Yea, this was the problem I wanted to solve before the elk hunt in CO. Was bothering me and wasn't sleeping well at night you know. Slept like a baby last night. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

88Silverado,
    Yea, I was wondering what was the best/correct way to mount it, but after reading the directions that came w/ it and researching it on here I went w/ the sideways mount. Like you said, it seems to be working...but if something changes maybe I'll try mounting it w/ the in/out on top. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One last thing...the old fin/tube was mounted directly to the front of the radiator w/ those zip ties that came w/ the kits. Had those little rubber squares between it and the radiator. I'm not sure how much it helped, but by mounting the new one to the center member I now have at least 3 inches between it and the radiator...probably getting better air flow around the new cooler now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you think the 3/4" thick one works well, you should try an 1 1/2" thick one next time. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif That's what I've got on my C30's TH 400.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

damn! 1.5"? how much did THAT bad boy run ya?!

j

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Like $60 from Jeg's. It's just a B&M. I ran it on the 700 when it was in my truck and then I slapped it on the 1 ton when I took the automatic out.

17. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Has anyone put in an auxiliary transmission cooler in addition to using the stock radiator cooler (passenger side in/out ports on my 3 core Modine) as well? If so, what order did you put the auxililiary cooler in - before or after the radiator based cooler?

18. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

i've got a B&M 28,000 GVW stacked plate cooler i installed in addition to the heat exchanger on the side of the radiator. for my 700r4 i ran the bottom line of the tranny to the bottom of the radiator. then ran a line out of the top of the radiator to the cooler. back out of the cooler to the top inlet of the tranny.

19. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

So the bottom is the feed from tranny to cooler and the top is the return from cooler to tranny, right? If so, then you first ran to the radiator trans cooler and then your auxiliary before going back to the tranny?

I've got a TH400, but still have 2 lines, one going and one coming from the tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

20. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

On the radiator cooler fluid enters the bottom and out the top. If adding an external cooler it should go thru the external cooler first than thru the radiator cooler "per GM"
    Tranny fluid is designed for a normal temp of 175 and the radiator keeps the fluid warm. Either way will work if your not running is reeeeely cold weather.

On a TH400 the top line on the trans is the return