Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replaced front disc brakes.. BUT......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, May 14, 2000.

1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

But what would happen if yoiu don't have the front rotors turned and machined? I repleced the brake pads and the disks have some slight galling and grooved notches that have been worn into the discs for a while...

Whats so bad if you just replace the pads without turning the discs? Is it potenmtailly DANGEROUS?

-Need to know before I go for long HAUL next weekend...
    --Deevee8

"Take Your Sissy-Ass SUV Home"-- Bumpah Stickah.-- [​IMG]

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Well....I've never had any rotor/drum on any of my vehicles turned. Haven't had a problem..yet, but I haven't had any serious ware on them. No discolored spots, no deep grooves, no warpage and not exceeded minimum thicknesses. The worst was a very slight groove, like 1/32nd of an inch. I've heard you should at least take some sand paper or emery cloth and give them some texture in a circular motion.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As I understand it, turning rotors/drums trues the surface and adds to the life of the new pads/shoes. I don't THINK not doing it would be dangerous; you just wouldn't get as much wear out of the new pads/shoes. I didn't have the rotors turned on the wife's car when I did the last brake job and I haven't had any problems.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

NOT DANGEROUS BUT BUT WIL CAUSE PREMATURE WEAR, MAY ALSO CAUSE BRAKES TO PULL. NEVER HAVE HAD MINE TURNED, JUST GET THE GLAZE OFF WITH 80 GRIT SANDPAPER NEVER ANY PROBLEMS.

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I think the Blazer might also vibrate annoyingly when you apply the breaks.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

The thinner the rotor gets the more susceptible it is to warpage which will cause it to shake your fillings loose when trying to stop. As a preventative maintenance measure I always have rotor turned when changing brakes if there is the slightest blemish, groove, blue spot etc. You will find out then if it is still good when the brake man goes to turn it.
    I for one dislike having to do a job twice, it makes more sense to do it while you have it apart then to do it again in 6 months. I just replaced both rotors, pads, drums, shoes and wheel cylinders because the previous owner did not take care of the brakes.
    The galling and grooves comes from waiting too long to change the pads, the rivets in the pads have been able to come in contact with the rotor, causing the damage.Sure you can replace just the pads, and they will eventually conform to the surface of the rotor, but any good brake man will tell you to turn them.
    The major point to think about, is why take a chance, the brakes are pretty darn important, the most helpless feeling in the world is when you hit the brake and they don't work, been there done that and learned a very important lesson. And it did leave a spot on the front seat...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>

7. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

Slight grooving is no big deal and should be fine. If when you push down on the brake pedel and feel the pedel pulsating, then thats usually a sign that the rotors have over heated and warped. Then it"s necessary to machine the rotors. Also remove any glazing as a result from over heating. Generaly you can only have them machined about three times before they need replacing. Most places that do brake jobs will tell you to turn your rotors. That means more money in there pocket.

Don McKinney

8. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

If you feel vibration when you apply the brakes than you defenitly need to turn them, if not you should be fine, I would do it if you're in for a long haul the extra weight is going to wear those shoes faster then normal, but if you bought the life time warranty pads than you could turn them after a couple of months, that's what I did I needed to replace my pads it was an emergency but I didn't have time to turn my discs so I bought the life time warranty on the pads than I could take them off when I have time and turn my discs and replace my pads for some new ones, anyway good luck in your haul and turn them when you get a chance. It's not dangerous though.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!