Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replaced gmc grille with chevy, now i know of four 73-up without a/c, hmm..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Sep 10, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

today i installed a 78 chevy grille onto a 76 gmc pickup, did that swap today, took bonanza equipment removable bowtie off the 79 bonanza grille and and the three bonanza chrome grille strips too and put them all on a scottsdale 78 grille that just had the base thin metal metal glued on bowtie sticker stuck in it and no chrome strips or anything else, and put the grille on the 76 gmc sierra grande in placeof its original busted up grille. the grilels were both same part number, cept the 79 one was a darker gray,
    i primered and painted the 78 one with aluminum shiny paint and wow makes a huge difference! i like it /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    also removed the stupid bug shield off the hood of the truck but hood is junk anyways, rotten all along front edge ate out bad and its folded across the center since hinges were never oiled,

now to swap fenders, hood, doors, rockers, cab corners, bed, front bumper, all those rusted and bent up.,
    thats hte best shape you can find anymore is rusted bent junk unless you spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

poor truck. but i wont junk it cuz its a shgort fleet, damn those are hard to find, of all the turcks ive had i have enver once come across a shortfleet or step either, i think they made like 20 of each of them and thats it ?

what it seems like.
    rare.
    gave 75 for the whole truck minus drivetrain, has really nice 15x8 aluminum mags on it with nine round holes design and black painted on inside edges of all the holes, and small american racing caps, huge tires for a 2wd too.
    they worth that much alone /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    and tailgate isnt too bad and it works!
    if i ever find 250 engine mounting brackets then it will run and drive again, the drivetrain was pulled from it about two weeks ago. was originally 305 with 3/8" fuel line and then was 350 for a while and now going ot be 250 soon, '69 pickup style.

oh and its the fourth truck after 72 that ive ever seen without a/c, used ot never see any without a/c but ive seen three new ones recently, only knew of an 81 c010 longfleet around the corner that an old retired auttobody guy 100% disassembled and reassembled after wleding shut taillights and side lights and door handles and such, he is adding a/c and headlienr equipment andnow its got a fresh 454 and t-5 in it now, but the stock 2.73 is holding it back badly, he doesnt understand axle ratios just likemost other ppl around here dont,. truck was 305 and three on the tree originally and then a th350 for a while.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You need to get out more...I've personally seen a couple hundred 73-up K5's without AC. No, I'm not exaggerating either./forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rene

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The shortbed trucks must be rare in some parts of the country since you're not the first person I've heard say that they never see them, but they are NOT rare by any stretch of the imagination. I probably see at least half a dozen of them day here in CA, both 2wd and 4wd; they're actually much more common than the longbeds out here. I've seen more of these trucks without A/C than with it too, including the shortbed fleetside chopped up mostly rust free '78 with no A/C that's in my garage. Sounds like you have a truck that's 1 in a million. Literally, 1 of a million produced that were just like it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif</font>

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

It isnt that they are rare, just you dont see them much in the Midwest because they either rusted apart and were scrapped or they were fixed up nice and now are kept in someones garage to keep away from the road salt...

Out here I see alot of the 1960-80's GM shortbed fleetsides. And they still look good and can be driven year round out here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    You need to get out more...I've personally seen a couple hundred 73-up K5's without AC. No, I'm not exaggerating either.:p

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    my 77 didn't come with ac /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif but it will soon have ac /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif