Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replaced Rubber body mounts w/poly now gearshift indicator off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by opfor2, Jan 30, 2003.

1. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Hi All,

I replaced all of the rubber body mounts with poly mounts from energy suspension. Now the gear shift indicator is off. Inorder to put into overdrive I have to have it between Neutral and Overdrive. What happened ? Do I need to adjust the TV cable ? All I did was replace the body mounts.

Thanks

Dan...

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Think about this: The shifter is attached firmly to the steering column, which is attached firmly to the body. The other end of the shift linkage is attached firmly to the transmission, which is attached to the frame. The new body mounts probably changed the distance between the body and the frame just a bit, so the length of the shift linkage needs to be adjusted to make up for the difference. Check the linkage and you'll see that it has places that can be adjusted by just loosening a single bolt, usually at the lower end of the rod that goes down from the column and/or where it attaches to the tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

DO NOT TOUCH THE TV CABLE. Changing mounts will not affect it. Like HarryH3 said, the linkage going from the steering column to the tranny is out of adjustment now. Down by the tranny input selector shaft, there should be a metal "canister" with a hole in it that the shift rod from the steering column goes through with a locking bolt on the end. Loosen the bolt (adjust the shaft one way or the other) and try it. Adjust it until it's correct. PB Blaster may be needed if the shaft and assembly are corroded.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

There is also a clip o nthe steering column that can adjust the indicator