Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replaced wiper delay module on 85 K5... still no good

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tungsten, Feb 23, 2004.

1. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

Well I replaced the wiper delay box (bottom of the steering column) on the 85 K5 and still don't have intermittent wipers. Either full on or off, but nothing in between.

Logic tells me that the switch on the column is probably bad too. The delay box obviously had a blown diode in it, but maybe the switch got zapped with whatever surged through the box... or at least that's my theory.

Is there anything else in the system that would cause the intermittent wiper settings not to work? Anything in the wiper motor itself? Or are the only two components the delay box and the column switch?

Thanks.

2. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

What happened before the intermittent wipers stopped working? Did the wiper motor get wet?

I had a similar problem on an '89 Sub. Just like you've done, I replaced the module under the steering column and I still had problems. I ended up having to replace the windshield wiper motor before things were back to normal again. Based on my experience with a problem similar to yours, I'm going to say you will need to replace the wiper motor.

3. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

I have no idea; I inherited the Blazer and it came complete with a bucket o' problems... the delay wiper being one of them. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Mine would do this as well. I searched on here for a while and came upon a pretty good tip. I had tried everything on the motor: cleaned the contacts, cleaned the insides, adjusted the little spring that makes contact for the park aspect to no avail. Anyways the post said to adjust the bolt that comes out of the top of the motor. I fiddled with it and now the wipers rarely mess up. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

Here is my $.02. Mine were working fine, After I disconnected the plug at the washer dispencer, I lost my intermitten wipers. I had either on or off, like yours. Could your problem be at this connection. Oh yea, I never did go back to plug the washer dispancer back in, so I'm not so sure that this will cure your problem, but.........
    Good luck,
    Joe

6. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

The washer motor is part of the delay circuit. It must be there and it needs to be close to the factory resistance. If that is good and the delay box is alive then the wiper motor most likely needs replaced. The switch is only a variable resistor. If it were bad the common failure is that the variable speed is not consistent.
    Mike

7. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The washer motor is part of the delay circuit. It must be there and it needs to be close to the factory resistance. If that is good and the delay box is alive then the wiper motor most likely needs replaced. The switch is only a variable resistor. If it were bad the common failure is that the variable speed is not consistent.
    Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah HELL. The washer motor and bottle and everything else is gone from this truck. My grandfather apparently pulled it at one point and never replaced it.

I guess that answers that! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif