Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacement 7 pin HEI distributor California Emissions!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by btolenti, Nov 26, 2003.

1. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of a replacement distributor available for my 86 K-5 with CA emmissions? (7 pin igniton module)

Are there aftermarkets available? If not, where can I get a good rebuilt unit?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Talk to a couple of local speed shops. One of oyur local ones can re-bush them.

There isn't much to wear out, especially on the electronically controlled ones, so if the shaft is in good shape, a bushing replacement, and some shims to correct end play are usually all that are needed to get them back in good shape. (not counting the electrical components you can replace if need be)

3. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know where I can get the replacement parts like the pickup and the wiring harness?

I have a MSD6A hooked up to it right now (Super HEI kit).

will running the replacement 7 pin module from Accel work or is the stock replacement okay.

4. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

How long has your MSD6A been installed? When I installed mine in midsummer 2002, I also did an MSD Blaster Coil, plugs (Bosch Platinum - bad - but that's in an old post), wires, cap and rotor. Anyway, I had an odd dying condition for awhile after installation that has since gone away, without any module replacement. BUT, when I pulled codes, I did get the one which indicated a module failure.

I believe Autozone will test your existing module for you, for free, although if your rig runs most of the time, it's safe to assume that Autozone will find the module functional.

Also, these modules DONT like to be hot - new ones should come with the standard white goop that is sold with CPU heatsink & fans for modern PC's. However, you could consider applying more thermal grease, white goop or otherwise and see if that doesnt cure the problem.

It seems likely that by adding an MSD, youre running more juice through the distributor, and overheating the module.

I assume you pulled your codes? If so, what did you get?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

To be honest, for the cost of getting those pieces from the only likely source (if you are lucky, GM) you'd be better off finding a wrecking yard one in good shape and either using it as is, or "rebuilding" that one.

If I can, I'll check my parts manual tonight, but I have a feeling that the distributor parts aren't listed in such a way that I'm going to be able to find exactly what you need.

6. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I don't think the MSD is overheating the module since the extra "spark" power does not get routed through the ignition module. The ignition module is there just to signal the MSD to fire. Autozone tested it already and said it was fine, and I made sure to put thermal grease on when I reinstalled it.... THe funny thing is that there is no specific time that it happens, just every once in a while.

I did find out, however that performance distributors www.performancedistributors.com offer a replacement for the 7 pin module distributor. 275 complete or 200 without coil and cap. Technically it's not SMOG legal, but how will they know if I just replace the distributor unit. I still have the CARB stickers for my MSD stuff....

I know LMC sells distributors, but they want 160 plus 15 core for one, and I like like the performance distributors one because of the upgraded ignition module....

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have a bunch of 80-86 large HEI distributors and parts, a couple are reman, some have vacuum advance and some dont, and some have mechanical advance under the rotor, and some dont- all with 7 pins total

8. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I did find out, however that performance distributors www.performancedistributors.com offer a replacement for the 7 pin module distributor. 275 complete or 200 without coil and cap. Technically it's not SMOG legal, but how will they know if I just replace the distributor unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't if you take off the coil cover, and use the stock coil cover. That distributor, is sweet. you send them your engine specs and they put it on a distributor machine and set your advance curve for your peticular setup. They mark the bottom of the housing with your curve #'s so if you ever need replacement parts, you give them the # and bingo you're set

Passes smog with flying colors, and the hotter spark makes it run smoother. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

they curve the distributor for you based on cam specs.....unless you have a computer controlled HEI.... The computer controls the advance on the distributor for all HEI distributors with 7 pin ignition modules...