Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacement body panels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scott85, Feb 13, 2007.

1. scott85

scott85 Registered Member

Just wondering what the consensus here is on replacement sheet metal. I need a outer/inner rocker, cab corner, and front wheel wells....possibly the lower portion of the kick panel on the drivers side as well......anyway, LMC has a pretty big selection, as does JC Whitney. I have seen some on 73-87 chevy trucks.com.....and i know that the stealership still has rockers at $208 a piece. Anyone here have experience with replacement sheet metal that can offer an opinion as far as the quality is concerned? i would like to only have to do this once!

thanks
    Scott

2. FWP

FWP CRS

The stuff is made overseas. It sometimes doesn't fit right, and is dented. It's also thinner metal, like 18-20 ga, where the GM stuff is more like 14.

I'm building a 73- I will not use aftermarket replacement panels. I did that once on my old yellow truck, won't do it again.

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i use aftermarket.. depends on what you expect...
    i butt chechked my aftermarket door and dented it....
    but for $53 im not complaining

4. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

My dad bought some Taiwan fenders for the old 74, and they were visibly thinner.

5. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

And great for offroad.
    If not go with Genuine GM you won't be sorry.

6. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it was a woodhaulin 3/4 ton 4x4 I learned to drive in it. He had me go between two trees once, the fender's cleared, then the door's hung up, I gassed it and peeled those back like a banana peel!

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Agreed, except for the core support:doah: My aftermarket lasted a whole 3 months before the cracks showed up. Junked the 99 dollar POS and bought a GM version for 250.

8. scott85

scott85 Registered Member

wow, there's reallly that much of a difference? im sitting here thinking a rocker is a rocker is a rocker....im going to have to re-think my whole game plan if in fact they are that bad. any other opinions out there?

9. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

A lot of stuff is hard to find, GM has discontinued the doors and fenders and bedsides. They still make the rockers, I say if it lasted 30 years as a GM, It's worth the investment so it lasts another 30. I got aftermarket doors and fenders and bedsides, they are thinner, but if that's all you can get what can ya do?