Replacement box sides

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tRustyK5, Aug 7, 2000.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jul 23, 2000
    I am looking at buying replacement box sides for my 81 Jimmy. I was wondering if anyone had done this and how difficult it is going to be?
    I was quoted $375 per side (Cdn. which is about $250 US). These are manufactured in the US not off-shore crap, is this a reasonable price?

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress
  2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Feb 17, 2000
    That is probably a good price. I bought some aftermarket bedsides from Cert-I-Fit in St. Louis, MO and they fit ok. I would probably buy different if I had to do it over again. Mine were $175 a side. The process is not too hard. The hardest part was cutting out the door jamb welds. Buy a spot weld drill bit or just a 3/8" - 10mm bit will work. Dont forget to drill out spot welds on the inner cab pillar near where the seatbelt retractor attaches. Plus you will have to drill out the welds on the cab where the cab meets the bedside. You will have to pry this out some and get to the welds under there. It extends approximately 6" into this cab piece. Email me if you have any more questions. I am not a body man, But I can help you from experience.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue></font color=blue>