Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacement carb question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazinRojo, Apr 5, 2001.

1. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

My '83 california blazer has the E4ME feedback q-jet on it. The wires going into and coming out of it control/recieve info from the mixture control solenoid (M/C) , idle control solenoid (ICS) and throttle position sensor (TPS). Now for my question. The carb sucks, it a has a flat spot the size of california in the throttle and dies the first time you start it up in the mornings. Theoretically, could I replace it with a edelbrock preformer q-jet #1904 non feedback? The problem, if any, would lie in the computer losing it because it would not be communicating with the carburetor. But would this affect the other systems the the computer controls, or just make the check engine light be on the whole time? Even though it still needs smog checks, it would only take me a little while every 2 years to switch back to the feedback carb to pass the check. Has anyone tried this?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You would likely lose every function of the computer. Are you sure you don't ahve a vacuum leak? Bad acceleration, bad idle, and stalling on startup are all symptoms of a vacuum leak.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

3. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

I know part of the problem lies in a semi-stuck EGR valve which needs to be replaced, but that doesn't account for all of it.