Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacement cat converter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jacksprat1599, Mar 28, 2004.

1. jacksprat1599

jacksprat1599 Registered Member

I've got an exhaust leak that needs to be repaired and have considered redoing the whole system.I wanted to know what you guys are using for cat replacement and aftermarket muffler(s).I want to stay single exhaust with a mellow tone, nothing too loud.I'm sure its the original cat and since its on an 89 350 sub with 160k I'm sure its lived its life but even if its still good I was hoping for a better flowing model. thanks

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm running dual catco cats from summit racing. I think they were about 50 clams each...Oh and whatever you do don't go to Ed's mufflers up off of Lamar. That guy wouldn't know an exhaust system if it bit him in the ass. If you want to see his handiwork you can check my K5. If I were you I'd take it to Muffin on Burnet... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would just like to make you aware that it is against federal law to replace a functioning catalytic converter.

4. jacksprat1599

thanks for the shop info blazerguy and also what kind of mufflers.

5. jacksprat1599

how do you know if it is functioning and I don't plan on removing for good just replacing with a higer flow model

6. NetBlazer

NetBlazer Registered Member

BS.

If the vehicle in question has more than 50K miles, it is perfectly legal to replace the cat.

You can also legally replace it, if it is damaged /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    BS.

If the vehicle in question has more than 50K miles, it is perfectly legal to replace the cat.

You can also legally replace it, if it is damaged /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not true. It is illegal to remove a functional catalytic converter.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would just like to make you aware that it is against federal law to replace a functioning catalytic converter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of that one, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif i have heard that is against the law to replace a cat with another used one, you can replace it, but it has to be brand new.

9. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Both are correct, It's illegal to remove or replace a fully functioning cat UNLESS vehicle is over 50k miles and there is a documented reason for replacement (those in the rust belt are in luck, just make sure the right parts break "due to rust" when you replace your exhaust...) under 50k miles and it can only be replaced if damaged.

On the down side, as far as Blazers go it is totally illegal to switch over to a true dual exhaust even if you install dual converters, has to stay single cat. Your only allowed to swap to duals if the vehicle model for that year or later years was offered with a dual exhaust with dual cats which as far as I know the K5 never was. Not sure about the newer Yukons etc but those wouldn't count anyways..... It's also illegal to remove the cat from any vehicle even if the vehicle is never to be used on-road again (ie: making a full-offroad non-street legal vehicle, you would still have to keep the cat on it or your breaking the law)

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    BS.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not true. It is illegal to remove a functional catalytic converter.

[/ QUOTE ]

10. jacksprat1599

due cats still function after 160k or do the clog.I had a freind whose 97 dodge cloged the cat at 65k.

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I have 210,400 sumthin miles and still runnin the original huge fat cat. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Cats are designed to last the life of the vehicle but don't always. As long as you can justify why you changed your cat it probably isn't an issue.

13. 89fullsiz

89fullsiz Registered Member

It really depends on where you live. There are federal and local laws. The ones here quoted here are federal.

Here in Oregon they are not really inforced in fact if I could get my truck to pass a roller sniffer without a cat then I could get by. In Cali and Fairbanks, AK (where I'm from) they do a thorough inspection. Anyways I'll stop rambling!

at 160K you shouldn't have any problem replacing the cat and probably wouldn't be a bad idea. The above mentioned Catco is an EXCELLENT choice and is a great price. There was a test done on cat flow numbers and it ranked very high second I believe above alot of expensive ones!!!

14. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

In Cali the replaced Cat has to be in the exact same location as the stock unit too /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. bushmaster

bushmaster 1/2 ton status

flow master 50 series or there big block series or edelbrocks new muffler sounds nice and looks well made/heavy duty.

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well when there are no cats to begin with(PO), my options are limited... [​IMG]

Fjleiter(sp?) is right on the money about changing the exhaust. My truck has true duals on it and it's not exactly legal but it doesn't really matter...not until the smog checks start here(about 1 year). Not worth going to duals anyway, IMO.

BTW I'm running Warlock muffs, don't get them, they suck...

17. jacksprat1599

Thanks for wheiging in everyone.Aren't 50 series flowmasters designed to be duals and if not would a single 50 be too loud? I only want deep mellow tone nothing too loud. I have read a few things about the 70 series here, does anyone like them and how loud are they. to give you an idea what I'm looking for as far as volume I would like to be able to just hear what the engine is doing but then be able to turn the radio on at moderate volume and drowned the exhaust note out. thanks

18. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Nah, the 50 series(3 chamber) aren't just a dual muffler. I think the 50 is just what you want, maybe a little louder though. Do you have doors, carpet, top? The 70 series are the quietest, close to stock....

19. bushmaster

bushmaster 1/2 ton status

50s have just a nice sound idle and when on the throttle with cats they will be even quieter while your at it install a x pipe or cross over pipe they will mellow the tone even more

20. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

50's have a nice mellow tone, as well as MagnaFlow Mufflers. Both are good mufflers. Converter wise Eastern and MagnaFlow make good converters.