Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacement clutch question...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jun 8, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Sorry for the tech...But I know I'll forget to go back into the garage to see the answers to this...I'm a true blonde.

I'm seeing clutches on ebay dirt cheap, like under $50. These are full brand NIB kits with everything I'd get if I ran up the road to get one at my parts place for $200.

Some of the descriptions are a little vague, like "11-inch OEM GMC/Chevy clutch kit".

I just went out and measured my old clutch disc surface, and it's 11" exactly. Can I consider these ebay clutches standard interchangable parts?
    Anyone know of a site I can use to cross reference any differences between different clutches from different motors/tranny's/years?

If I can actually get a new clutch for around $50, I may very well be able to afford to pay a shop to put this tranny in for me, instead of spending a day laying in the dirt in my yard doing it myself, with only some of the right tools.

These are the ones I'm looking at:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=7979541707&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=7979363292&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT (this one's used)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=7979727509&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

When I check out the applications for some of the clutch kits I find at online parts stores, they're the same part number across a bunch of different years and models.
    I'm not trying to be cheap. I may end up deep in the hole between this truck and the donor truck.
    I'm just worried about getting a clutch and then sitting there with a tranny on my chest next week saying "Why won't this friggin thing fit?"

Also, anyone know if there's a difference between the '92 and '93 flywheels? If not, I'll take the 93 flywheel I acquired and have it machined to speed the job up, too...

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Come on guys, don't tell me I have to figure out how to get back into the garage...

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, I like 12" clutches. I always buy the biggest available. Usually 1/2 ton 2wds got the 11" stuff.

Next, you picked clutches with different spline counts. Chances are you have a vehicle with a 10 spline 1 1/8" shaft. 465s in big trucks often had 1.5" shafts.

I bought my Perfection 12" 1 1/8" 10 spline clutch from Advance Auto for under $150.