Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacement Distributor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pwrhouss, Apr 14, 2005.

1. pwrhouss

pwrhouss Registered Member

I have an 86 K-5 Blazer that I am putting a 350 in. What is a good aftermarket distributor to replace the stock one. I still have the computer so I need one that is compatible (Wires coming out front and back). One with a better coil would be good too. Thanks

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Putting in an aftermarket will just get you clean new parts. They may be better but most likely they will be worse quality then what you started with. What I did was buy a kit with all new electric parts from summit and put all the new parts in the HEI and all the old parts in the back of the truck.

About the only way to get much better then a factory HEI is to put in a MSD ign. or one of the others like it.

3. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

CLicky
    The one I got seems to work pretty good.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i need to start buying and selling aftermarket distributors, seems like everyone wants to dump the good ol GM HEI, for some unknown reason,
    stock HEI is all i will ever use,
    at very most i will get curve kit and higher coil, and maybe adjustable vac advance and a big block module, but only if engine was a real built engine or something else crazy,

hmm

good luck

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I like the stock HEI best...

I've seen lots of problems with the "race" type distributors when used in street vehicles--like,where are you going to find a module for a MSD distributor in Boone Iowa when it craps out??..I prefer to be able to hit the nearest junkyard and be on the road in 20 minites again...GM spent millions developing and perfecting the HEI system,I feel its the "right" part for a GM car--race stuff is fine on the racetrack,but often does not hold up under daily street use..

My friend bought an Accel distributor for the 350 in his 62 Nova--but he learned too late it had no vacuum advance,just mechanical--and it ran like dog poop unless it was wide open throttle--it got lousy gas mileage,and didn't perform well at all--and was also non-returnable!-(the module in it croaked the second day he had it--45 bucks for a new one at the speed shop)-he sold it for 75 bucks with about 100 miles on it at a swap meet--bought a stock GM HEI there for 20 bucks,put that in it,and it ran like a bear! :crazy:

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Stock replacement is good. I do like MSD myself on the street rods, but off road, I's probley go with a stock HEI.

7. pwrhouss

pwrhouss Registered Member

I would like to keep the stock distributor but the housing around the shaft broke. I just want to know what is a good stock replacement if there is one. Or should I just go buu another OEM distributor. I went to Adv. Auto but all of theirs only had one wire. I need one that is computer controlled since I am keeping the computer.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't believe any aftermarket stuff is made to work with the computer/ESC systems.

9. rpellicer

rpellicer Registered Member

One option is to run an MSD 6A with the stock computer controlled distributor. The stock module says in the dist, but the MSD takes care of firing the coil. Lotsa high output coils out there for the HEI too.

I know I've read articles on blueprinting HEIs, can't find the articles right now though. Basically, make sure the shaft doesn't have too much play and the advance mechanism works as smooth as possible. This keeps the timing accurate with little variance. Dig a little and I'm sure you'll find the blueprint specs somewhere.

10. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I bought the stock GM Delco from Scoggins Dickey www.SDPC2000.com thinkin it ran somethin like $169 complete...wrecking yards are also an option if budget dictates...

11. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

when using a MSD 6A with a HEI distributor the module is removed and the wires from the p/u coil plug directly into the signal wires coming from the HEI.

the 4 and 5 pin modules are simply setup for EST (electronic spark timing) which is used with the early C3 (computer command control) systems.

you can run a standard module (2 pin in and 2 pin out) to eliminate the C3 function if you wish to bypass the emissions timing calibration the computer applies, the biggest drawback of the stock HEI is the factory module starts dropping voltage rapidly after 4500 rpm.

I think they are fine for stock engines but there is no such thing as too much ignition....period

12. rpellicer

rpellicer Registered Member

That is true for the four pin (did it on 2 of my vehicles) but not on the 7 pin - the module stays in.

13. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

:D DUI (Davis Unified Ignition)or Petronix HEI replacement distributors are very good... A little hotter than stock, but will work with all computers....

HEI all the time for a street machine.....

Supergas