Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacement doors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nickstegeman, May 20, 2003.

1. nickstegeman

nickstegeman Registered Member

Please Help!!!! I am new to ColoradoK5 and need some edvice from you old timers. I have an '85 rig that needs new doors. Any Suggestions??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Don't get the cheapo $100 aftermarket doors. They don't have the same body lines as the originals, they're thinner metal, and some of the mounting holes (window mechanism, door lock, vent window) didn't line up correctly. That's been my experience. The other option, if you want new doors, is to pay $550 to GM for the originals /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Your only other option is to find used doors.

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

bone yard.

4. getitup

getitup Registered Member

Yeah I am having trouble finding doors for my 75 cause the whole top comes off and there is not a whole window track. The scrapyards have all been picked clean around me. I have found newer doors. If I hack off the part of the door that I dont need can I use them?

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

You will need to get the little pieces that are welded inside the doors to hold the weatherstripping on the end-caps of the door.

UNless your not into weatherstripping... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    If I hack off the part of the door that I dont need can I use them?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, that's how they did it at the factory. GM never made a "special" door for the '73-'75 K5's. They just took a band saw to the standard truck doors and welded in a piece to hold the top plate place in place and strengthen the door after the upper section was removed.

7. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I actually just bought a set of aftermarket doors from Interstate Auto in SLC, UT and paid 105 for both (dealer license= no tax and wholesale cost) Body line lined up perfect, metal may be thinner but they come with a 7 year rust coverage, only thing wrong was they missed drilling out the top front screw hole for the wing windows, this compared to a 150 a piece for "descent" doors from salvage. I am pleased with them. My buddy owns a rebuilder lot and all he uses is aftermarket, alot of times they fit better than stock.