Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacement electric fans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by plinkin556, Apr 16, 2004.

1. plinkin556

plinkin556 Registered Member

My 83 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif w/ 350 has had the clutch fan replaced by 2 electric fans. I don't think that they are doing a good enough job. My engine gets hot sitting in traffic too easily. Anyway..I want to revert back to the stock fan and possibly keep the electric for supplamental(sp). Can someone please give me a measurement from the front of the fan to the radiator and from the pulley that attaches to the clutch to the front of the fan?

Anyone that has a setup with both engine driven and electrical fans please post a pic to show me how you fit them.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You didn't ask, but I'm going to say it anyways. Running both fans is more than likely a waste of time. (mech and electric)

If the mech. fan needs to be on, it will turn on. The electric fan will act as a barrier to airflow in certain circumstances. If the engine won't keep cool, make darn sure the radiator itself isn't the culprit.

Even two year old radiators under the right circumstances will allow for engine overheating.

3. plinkin556

plinkin556 Registered Member

I haven't really thought about the radiator being bad. Sounds like a radiator flush and clean may be the first thing to try. Thanks