Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacement gas tanks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MR4WD, Feb 1, 2004.

1. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

As I really tore into the blazer for the first time I owned it in a bit under a year, I thought to myself that the factory skid plate sure would hold a lot of dirt and debris and be a great place for moisture to rot out the tank. A day after I'd thought that, I was removing the rear shackle hangers and noticed that the area around where the skid plate meets the tank was a bit damp. Sure enough, it's leaking gas.

Now would be an appropriate time to upgrade the tank to something better tham OEM, but my main concern is ease of fueling up. I don't wish to drop the tailgate or do acrobatics to fuel up the blazer. Something that has crossed my mind is relocating the tank to inside the cab, but I'm not sure this is "legal"? I mean, in the event of a roll or flop there'd be gas everywhere. Plus I would hate smelling the fumes on long drives. I won't mind hacking up the body to relocate filler necks, but I'm not at all experienced with aftermarket tanks and how they would work.

What are some alternatives to the OEM tank? Or, would an exact replacement for the tank be my best bet. Something else to consider since I don't know the history of my '91 blazer is how recently the fuel pump has been replaced. While the tank is out, I think it would be added insurance to replace the fuel pump.

Any help or known alternatives would be great,
    Chad.

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

There aren't alot of options that I know of. All the fuel cells are for "off road use only" even though we have used them on street cars. But the fill necks don't fit stock locations and would have to be fueled from inside. They do have roll over valves and can be vented outside. If your looking for something that will go in stock location, there are company's that make higher copacity tanks. 44 gal. but they ain't cheap! 600.00 or so. I forgot who makes them, but J.C. Whitney sells them. and they are supposed to fit in the stock area. Other than that, It's stock replacement from all I know of.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

There are also plastic tanks that are supposed to fit in stock location. Also thru JC Whitney.

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

http://www.colemans.com
    NEW tanks from Army surplus...$25.

Problem is no baffles like a FI tank has. They say 27 in the add but they are either 21 or 31 and I a pretty sure that's the size of a 31. They list his as Deisel but I don't think it matters. It's a container.

6. scottnj

scottnj 1/2 ton status

My tank also had a hole rusted through it. Bought one from autozone. It was actually an inch higher. Not sure why but it still was a 31 gallon.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't recall where I bought my FI tank from. Made by American design or something like that. $130 to my door IIRC.

When I pulled my skid plate, my tank was also rusty in the middle from being in close contact with the plate. I drilled a few holes right in that area of the plate to let the water drain. Chamfered the holes to make drainage a bit easier.

8. schendel

schendel Registered Member

I am also looking for a replacement tank. I've looked in JC Whitney and other places and I am trying to decide if I should just go with a stock replacement kit. I own a '72 GMC Sierra and the original tank has rusted. I want to move the fuel to the back to gain some room in the cab. GMC Pauls web site had a good deal on a couple. Are there advantages/disadvantages between the steel and poly tanks?
    It doesn't matter to me what it's made out of as long as it's durable. Also, anyone have an idea where I could get a skid plate for it?

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I had my 72 stock tank rust from the inside out on me to were it started leaking. I got a polyehtelane(sp?) from www.brotherstrucks.com and it was a direct swap. perfect replica of the metal one. Well except for the filler tube. It is a bit shorter. I ran that for about two years then the sending unit O-ring seal would leak only when I filled the tank to the rim.
    I then switched to a www.nwmp.com steel tank..37 gallon I think. Man I love the extra gas. Now I can cruz for hours without stoppin way better than the tiny 21 gallon stocker.
    The steel tank does sit low so I raised the tank(I have a 3" body lift) as hight as I could get it. Then I built a tuff skidplate for it to keep the rocks away from it. They ain't cheep, 400 and change /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    [​IMG]

10. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I put in the NWMP 43 gallon. Good quality. Inside is aluminized. The only problem I have is that most gas pumps around here only authorize a $50 purchase on credit card; so it takes two transactions to fill if empty.

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

On the NWMP tank, I think it says that it comes with an internal electric fuel pump. Did you go with that, or use the stock mechanical. I'm inclined to stay with the mechanical one since swapping it out on the trail if needed would be easier.

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

No I did not go with that one. The one I got comes with a sending unit and the mounting straps. I reloacted the stops on the sides of the tank and shortend the mounting straps to raise my tank up 2.5". Altho NWMP voids the warenty if you weld on the tank....oh well.
    You can see the angle iron I used for the stop in my pic above /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just have a suggestion about the crude that builds up between the skid plate and the tank.

Whenever I go to the car wash and I am hitting the axles with the pressure washer I will hit it between the tank and plate. I usually get mud blowing out of there but as long as there isn't any debri in there and air can reach the moisture than there shouldn't be a prob. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya I tried to address that when I made my super skid. Look at my pic above. I made the center support like a laid down H leaving the sides open so not to trap in the mud and dirt. So far it has been working well. I smaked it hard on a rock and it just marked it up with a tiny bend tward the edge. Hey as long as it stay away from the tank it's doing it's job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif