Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacement manual clutch linkage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeticlaw, Aug 6, 2002.

1. yeticlaw

yeticlaw Newbie

I have been trying to locate good remplacement manual cluch linkage for a K5, but keep getting turned toward junk yards. Since I am looking for an upgrade, rather than someone else's used mess, I am seeking alternatives. If anyone has a good source, I would greatly appreciate it! I have already been working with a company called SpeedDirect that does spherical rod end replacments for muscle cars, but they're still working on them for 73-86 trucks. Any other suggestions? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Have you considered upgrading to the hydraulic clutch? Starting in 85 GM stopped using the caveman linkage and went with a slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, etc. No more leg cramps or linkage falling apart. No more adjusting the linkage for clutch wear either.

It can be done using all factory parts too. Several members here have done the conversion so try a search for "Hydro clutch" and see what pops up.

Rene

3. yeticlaw

yeticlaw Newbie

I've looked into it a little, but it sound's like a fairly large project. I havn't yet found out if there are any permanent mods that have to be done (which I don't really want to do) - I'm still researching though...

4. tRustyK5

I wouldn't call them 'mods'...it was a stock set-up straight from GM.

The manual linkage sucks, even when new.

Rene

5. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

Man, I really hate that return spring screech on the manual set-up.
    I'v tried oil on mine and never get rid of the sound.

I'm going to keep my eye on this post, and check out that hydro change over.

<font color="orange">dogman </font color>

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Hydro conversion... Happy Happy Happy!!!

Did this on my friend's '72 too.

I have the manual linkage if you want it.. Not sure what's left of it. What exactly is the problem your trying to solve on yours? Just a screeching spring?

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Make sure that the pivot bushing isn't worn out on the pedal. My dads squeaked like crazy too, but it was from the pedal bushing being shot. (lots of side to side play)

8. yeticlaw

yeticlaw Newbie

As far as the hydro conversion goes - can you recommend where to go get info? (price, installation time, parts involved etc)

9. tRustyK5

You're already there. You could do a search on this site or just send a pm to 'mj'. He has all the parts numbers and stuff on his webshots album. IIRC he used all GM parts.

there are at least a dozen people here that have done the swap...and at present I'm still collecting parts myself. I still need a bellhousing.

Rene

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I will be doing a wrecking yard tour soon and will try and remember that you need that bell, I keep forgetting your deal for one fell through

11. tRustyK5

Actually Dorian saw this post and offered me a good (I think) deal for a spare hydro bell he has./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks though Mike!

Rene

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I always keep my eyes peeled for the hyde. setups, SOMEONE always wants one, and they are rare enough that it pays to be on the lookout on the off chance the 'yard just got one in.