Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacement quarter panels?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Joe Kitzmiller, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Joe Kitzmiller

Joe Kitzmiller Registered Member

Recently purchased my first 73 k5 and looking to replace the right and left rear panels. I have read a lot of negative comments about LMC products. What other companys offer quality OEM / GM replacement panels? gmpartsdirect.com didnt seem to help, may have been looking in the wrong place. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

p.s. coloradok5 has been an excellent resource for my recently found hobby (restoring 73 k5).

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

GM discontinued those panels long ago. :( You might want to try posting in the Parts Wanted forum. Perhaps someone near you has some good ones from a parts truck. I'm pretty sure that one from any K5 will fit, you'll just have to weld in a patch at the top, front edge. Your current quarters are smooth there, while the later model ones have the steel cab/door frame attached there.

Swapping out the entire quarter is a HUGE undertaking. That mutha is bolted, welded, and glued to everything. :eek: If you just have rust around the wheel wells, it would be easier to buy patch panels, cut out the rust and then weld the patch panels in place.

I have a complete drivers side quarter from an '88 Blazer, but getting from here to there with no dents would cost a small fortune. :(

3. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

LMC is good...that's where i go for allot of the things i've needed...

4. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

haven't bought any body pannels though....
    LMC would be the place i'd go if i need them..

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

There are differences in the 73-75, 76-77 and 78-91 ones. The 73-77 are pretty close, just the top front lip is a bit different, but the 78 and up ones (might be 77 and up, can't remember) has the floor footwell for rear passenngers and that means that flange is different on the quarter panel.
    I used to have both right and left, but I sold them about 2 years ago.
    If you have the skill, you make any of them fit.
    You can get them from a variety of places, Shermans auto body in detroit area has them, LMC has them..chevy duty has them.
    If you want GM originals you'll have to scour the swap meets and ebay. Actually IIR, I think there's a set on ebay right now.