Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacement Rocker Panels from JCW

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by swilson, May 28, 2003.

1. swilson

swilson Registered Member

Has anyone else used the replacement rocker panels from JCW? The outers are great. Made in canada, heavy gauge, and the lines match.

I also got the extended inner rocker panels cuz I had some floor damage also /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. They are supposed to do the inner rocker job and fix 3" of floor panel. Couldn't figure out how that was supposed to happen. I couldn't get them to work correctly so I swapped the sides and did a little cutting. That did the trick /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.0

Guess the old saying....Cut to size--file to fit...is true. Which JCW would add an instruction sheet or something. This is the first time doing body panel work and i'm making it up as I go. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif.

I would add a pic of the panel but I don't have a dig. camera or a scanner either...srry. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I bought some a while back from a local place and had the same problem...I couldnt seem to figure out how they wanted it installed ???? After a little frustration and another beer I fabbed it up...

3. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

I put a couple on my old '78 Blazer. I never even primed or painted them, but they held up for the 10 years I had the truck.

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I got the inner and outers from JCW. I like them. Fit pretty well, to make life easy I had the fenders and doors off (I was replacing the fenders also). After everything was done I got looking around and there where several spots that where open or had gaps between to two pieces of metal (maybe I installed the inner wrong).
    Anyhow, here in Indiana that would be a salt collector. So I took a can of expanding foam (it said to seal out water /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) and I filled the entire rocker panel /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Once it stoped expanding I cut off the extra and used the duplicolor spray can bed liner on the under side of the truck. Not only do I sleep better knowing water can't sit in there but you can kick the $hit out the rocker and it SOLID! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Cut to size--file to fit

[/ QUOTE ]
    Close; "Cut to size, beat to fit, paint to match"

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

"Measure with a yardstick, mark with an axe, cut with a chainsaw."

As opposed to the redneck torque wrench: turn it till it breaks, then back off half a turn.

-- A

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I have a calibrated elbow