Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacement windows for a house

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ramjet gmc, Aug 28, 2003.

1. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Replacement windows for a house can anyone tell me the proper way to the size opening and a good brand any type of help would be nice

The windows I am replacing are single pain and work on a spring plate metal on the side of a wood trim and looks like they will come out easy I plan on doing the whole house I just want to add the house is a brick cape cod

thanks for the help /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Windows of any kind, if installed properly, do not come out easy. All windows have some sort of flashing that is under the exterior layer of the walls. You will have to open up the walls at least 3 or 4 inches beyond the window opening in order to 1. get them out and 2. reflash the outside of the new windows so they don't leak. Calking does'nt do the trick. Calking will shrink in a year or less.

I really like the new plastic frame windows. Dual pane is recommended for insulation qualities. Go down to Home Depot and get a video on replacing windows.

You have a birck exterior? Geeesh, that's gonna be a tough one. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Check out this link.

4. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I used to do windows for a living. Those are easy to take out...probably. Pick one of the ground floor windows that is the most common size as the rest of them. Start taking it apart for practice. Sounds like the old aluminum frame jobbies. First, get the glass out by un-screwing the screws at the side hardware that holds the window open. The glass and casing should come out then. You'll then have access to the side screws that hold the frame in the opening. You want your new windows about a quarter to a half inch smaller than the bare opening. You'll see how they're in there by the practice. A lot of the time, you'll have strips of wood about half by a quarter trimming them in, a small pry bar works great.

5. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Are they wood windows with wood sash and an aluminum track?

Is all the wood in good condition (jamb and sill).

If they are they are pretty easy the 1st one will take some time but I've sold some to homeowners who can get them done in a half hour each.

Let me know if they are the wood ones and I can tell you more than you need to know about replacing them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. ramjet gmc

7. Stickseler

If you want to keep the wood look and just replace the sash you can go with MW, Kolbe&Kolbe or Marvin tilt packs. If you just want wood 1 light with removeable grills use MW if you need SDL or a custom size use the Kolbe or Marvin. You can also get thes with a wood/primed inside and Alum Clad out side.

When you measure you need to measure the widest part to the inside of the alum track. For height just measure from the top where the sash goes up into to the sill.

As far as replacing them all you need to do is remove the stop from both sides, pull the sash down and cut the cords and let them pop up in the jamb. then you pull the staples out of the alum track and the whole thing slides out. All tilt packs come with 2 or 3 clips per side that you screw to the jamb then you just snap the new jamb liners into the fram and slip the sash into the balance. Once you figure out the 1st one the rest are cake and you shouldn't even have to mess with your int trim. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Try this diy.net
    or this Marvin Tilt-Pac

8. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I just replaced all 17 window's in My house. You can measure from the inside from trim piece to trim piece, but give yourself a little room to spare, say the window measurement is 18" add about 3/8" to that and You'll be in the ballpark.

I watched both the saleswoman, [ yes if a man call's, they send out a woman to give a bid. Go figure out why] and then I watched the foreman measure.

She just ballparked to get an idea of cost. The foreman added the extra 3/8" the both the width, and the height, so the new window's will seal up tight against the moulding on the inside.

Then when they installed, that guey foam sealant was used between all gap's/crevice's outside, before the trim went on outside.

All vinyl framed , with E-rated glass. But what a difference I've noticed already, less noise from passing car's, and less heat getting in the house from the E-rated glass. A very good investment and it raise's your property value at the same time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I installed windows for quite a few years before becoming "The Man".

The very best windows I have ever installed have been vinyl windows. Look in your phone book under........windows /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif and look for companies that have been in the business for at LEAST 10 years. Why buy windows with a 30/10 (30 years on the frame and 10 on the thermal pane) warranty from a company that has been in business 6 months?

DO NOT..................I REPEAT, DO NOT buy windows from one of those companies that you have not personally heard of, or the companies that do not speacialize in windows. Check with your neigbors and ask them who did their windows. As in any business, "Word of mouth" is the very best advertising.

10. Stickseler

How long you plan on keeping the house is another issue. The problem with vinyl windows...even with the warranty... is that they change the design of the unit and quit offering replacement parts. As far as the warranty the only problem you will have after the first year is seal failure and all companies except for the good ones (andersen, marvin, kolbe ect...) pro-rate the warranty so at about the 5-7 year mark they only cover 30-50% of the glass and none of the labor. Its almost cheaper to just goto a glass company. Weve got a 10 year old named brand vinyl replacement window in our house that blew the tube balance and damned if I can find a replacement for it and I sell windows for a living. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I cant even figure out who made the windows. yep the windows real quality when you won't even put your name on it

11. ramjet gmc

I think I will be in this house for 10 years and then get a bigger garage I meant house and the house would not be defaced by putting in a lesser window. a Marvin window is like 260.00 I bet and looks tougher to install.
    Can a simple unit be put in and that way I cannot touch the brick and the vinyl wrap that is there? And the wood trim I like the way it looks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Stickseler

If youve got standard sizes look at the MW wood sash-pac. any of the sash packs are going to take about 30 min to replace and you keep your existing frame.