Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing a 2.8L with a 4.3L, just frame mount?

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by sled_dog, Aug 7, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone know what it takes? I have been planning to run the 383 in my S10 but its been slow goings and now from sitting so much there is slight rust on the cylinder walls and a few rotating components that has me worried. Its been bagged and rubbed down with atf for months but the damage was done. That and its not yet complete, as well to feed it I need 2 mixers and a dual quad intake. Just thinking I will run the 383 see how it goes, if its a turd(do to the damage), swap in a 4.3L and maybe an SM465 at the sametime.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

new tranny to put a 4.3 in front of stock 2.8 tranny.

i have the adapter to run a th350 in one with the stock s-10 case that way you can put a 4.3 or your 383 in there.

if your s-10 is a stock manaul I would swap a 465 in. hydro is already there and easy to do.

my buddy had a 383 and 465 in his extra cab turning 40's..great truck

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Have a TH350 in it now. Just wish I had built for a manual sometimes.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

he had 2 th350 in his before he wised up to a 465. manuals are just better for off road (just my opinion)

5. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

When I was looking into this to swap my 2.8 out of my (hold the punches) jeep I found out that a 3.4 was a direct bolt pattern swap. They are not as popular with mods as the 4.3 but are really good motors. Just my two cents.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the bellhousings are compeltely different...

2.8Ls are 60* V6s, and the 4.3s are 90*(same as the V8s). Unless the 2.8s in the Jeeps were different, which I don't think they were.

7. gmcjimmy88

If you look at the post it says the 3.4 is the same as 2.8. Not the 4.3.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

oh haha, yes then you are right. I don't are about 3.4Ls though, those and 2.8s are junk in my eyes.

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

yeah the 3.4 swap may work but my moms and my grandmas cars both have em and both needed intake gaskets. same problems 2.8 are known for.

10. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

you could always throw in a manual valve body with compression braking in that th350 Sleddog, it would get ya close to a 465. I think that would be better, cant kill the motor with an automatic and no clutch to burn up

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

strength isn't going to be matched. The trans has full manual control right now(not a manual valvebody just a shift kit). We will see how it works out. Truthfully, its hte second auto trans I have ever rebuilt so I'm betting on it not lasting forever... We shall see how it goes. That and when I built it, I really realized how weak TH350s are and why.

12. gmcjimmy88

I have had three seperate 3.4's (wife's vehicles) but have gotten hundred thousand out of them with no problems what so ever. One of these abused much more than the others. I was thinking simplicity. I do know that advance adaptors had everything I needed (except Radiator) to do my swap to the 4.3. Goodluck with whatever you decide.