Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing a 3-out fuel sending unit with a 4-out one, got a ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Mar 13, 2005.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I went to pick-n-pull today and tried to find a sending unit for a 31 gallon tank I am swapping into my K5, in place of the 25 gallon tank I took out. I could only find one with four outlets, where my original one had only three. I am guessing the fourth outlet is for the return line that comes from fuel pumps with three ports. Is it ok for me to just cap off this fourth outlet and install it in place of the three out one? It seems like it would be fine, but I figured I better ask, just in case there will be problems if I did it.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Was one of them a *large* diameter, something like 5/8"?

I just can't recall if the sender has the fill vent fitting on it.

SHOULD have a fuel out, fuel return, EVAP, then the fill vent line if I'm thinking correctly.

EVAP and the return CAN be plugged if you aren't running them, but you need to vent the tank somehow. Using the EVAP fitting for vent (somehow, gas filter on end of the hose, etc) is typically how people do it.

3. mofugly13

Yeah, one is large, like 5/8" or so. I plan on hooking up the EVAP vent to the same hose as theEVAP vent on the old sender. I was just checking to see if it was OK to cap off the fuel return line and call it good.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, but I would use something like hose with a bolt or something, as ghetto as that sounds. I don't trust nor use those plastic or rubber caps, they deteriorate quickly and blow off when there is pressure.

Heck you could probably solder or braze it shut.

5. mofugly13

Thanks, I'll probably do like you said and use a hose and bolt. Maybe one day I'll run a return line down the frame, as my spare fuel pump had three ports, on for the return. When I had that one on my old 327, I used a hose and bolt to cap it off. I think I still have that piece of hose with the bolt still in it around here somewhere...