Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing a 350 for a diesel

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rpm35, Oct 27, 2003.

1. rpm35

rpm35 Registered Member

I have a 91 jimmy with a tbi350 in it. I am very interested with the idea of putting a diesel in it. What goes into a gaser to diesel swap. What engine would give me good power with and longevity?

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

It would be easier to sell yours and get one with a diesel IMHO.

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For once BlueBlazer n I agree. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifGawd, what's this world coming to!!

4. rpm35

rpm35 Registered Member

That sucks I have all ready put soo much time and money into it.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Rene (TrustyK5) just did this swap, ask him his opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

LOL, I asked this same question last year, got the same answer too. So I did the swap anyways./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Step one...find a complete running donor truck. A 6.2 on a pallet ain't gonna do it.

It was a ton of work and it took us a long time but eventually we had the 6.2 in there and it ended up being a pretty clean swap. I think you'd be hard pressed to know it wasn't an original 6.2 truck now.

I swapped the entire underdash harness as well as the engine bay harness as well so I wouldn't have butchered wiring anywhere...plus I also have the correct fuel gauge, Glow plug light etc on the dash (robbed the cluster too)

It does all bolt up, but almost everything forward of the firewall gets changed. Rad, brake booster etc.

You'll need the proper diesel convertor anf flex plate to bolt it up to your 700R-4 too.

I like my 6.2 just fine for power, and even without overdrive and running on 40's it managed a steady 16.2 mpg on the drive to and from Moab UT recently.

Rene

7. rpm35

rpm35 Registered Member

Would it be possible to drop in a 6.5 instead of a 6.2. Or would the cost be more than the benifit.

8. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

A 6.5 will fit fine is you don't have AC, the turbo interfears with the AC box on the firewall.