Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing a heater core with factory a/c

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Paxx, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Just like the title says, I need to replace the heater core on my 78 k5 with factory a/c. What is involved in this? Time consuming?

Thnx
    ~Max

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Do you mean from a "heat only" to an AC setup?
    It's been done, yes, it is time consuming, mostly getting the all the right parts. A complete donor vehicle is best, but of course not always the most practical.

The big holes in the firewall are different, so you'll be patching one and cutting another. You need the inside firewall box (under dash), outside firewall box (engine compartment), the controls, all the under dash ductwork, different dash pad face plate (the long 3" fasica on the front of the dash from the middle to the passenger side edge), different IP panel, and then of course under the hood you need the compressor, condensor, evap, lines, etc.

Best bet is to find a donor in a junkyard and pull a complete system. BTW, your AC setup will still have a heater core. A different shaped one, but you'll still have it.

3. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

it's easy I think theres a write up in the tech section only thing I did differant is drop the pass. side fender well for ease of access:D

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status