Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing/ adjusting steering stop bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FWP, Mar 13, 2005.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

Just thought I would pass this along, maybe help somebody out in the future, or maybe someone has an easier way.

I damaged 2 front axle shafts from the steering bolts not being long enough. That caused the shaft ears to touch at full lock, and wallow out the UJoint holes. The reason the bolts were not long enough was apparent when I removed them. The bolt head was worn down quite a bit, and the threads had actually crushed together (I run hydro assist).

Got the bolts out with some PB blaster help, and replaced them with grade 8. BTW- the threads are 3/8-24 on a D60. I put the stops in where I thought they were originally. Put some gear mark compound on the axleshaft ears. Jacked up the truck, ran it in drive, hubs locked, steered lock to lock. I adjusted the stops until there was no evidence of them touching, and went 1/2 turn more.

I thought that would be fine. Well, it seems 1/2 turn wasn't enough. I went wheelin the next day, and a post trail inspection, found some marks back on the axleshafts. I need to go another 1/2 turn and see if that takes care of it.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't have my 60 near me so, is there enough thread to put a nut on there? Maybe your bolts are moving a little? Mark them and check after a run. If they are you could try puting a locknut on. You did what I would have done to set the stops. Does someone have a proper procedure?

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Interesting... I always thought that tire-to-spring contact would happen before axleshaft ears touched.
    Guess I thought wrong.

I second Allen's idea about a jamnut on the bolt.

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

They should have come with a locknut. My 60 had thm on there. Put my 60 had the bolt tacked to teh nut and the nut tacked to the knuckles.

I replace mine because I had to adjustthem when i did my new steering. maybe I should check mine a little close now.:crazy:

5. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i hate how something so simple could turn into a nightmare

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Of course. Sorry I forgot to mention it, there were the factory locknuts welded to the original damaged bolts. I replace the nuts also, and tightened the crap out of em.