Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing an electronic/emissions q jet with a non elec. one

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Jul 15, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

will this cause a problem with the computer- like check engine light. is there a way to disable the computer ? are the distributors computer controled as well on these emission controled rigs.

going to be helping my buddy swap on a torker manie and q jet and he has a california rig with all the AIR crap and what not. he no longer needs emissions where he lives so we are trying to clean up the engine compartment.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All kinds of problems. From the 700R4 (if so equipped) to the distributor to the constant check engine light.

You can remove AIR without affecting the ECM.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

GM trucks never had computer controlled carbs (CCC). The cars saw them for a few years in the 80's, but never the trucks. If it is a GM truck and it has an ECM, then it is a fuel-injected truck (like your '90).

The electronic carb can be recognized by wires coming out for both the throttle position sensor and the mixture control solenoid. If there is one of these in a GM truck, then somebody swapped it in and I have no idea why anybody would do that.

There was a semi-electric Q-jet in the mid 80's trucks, but there was no computer to control it. Just an "on/off" type solenoid that leans the mixture slightly once the engine is warmed up. This has two wires coming out of it, but is not the CCC. Your '86 probably has this.

If it is already a carb truck and you will get rid of the emissions stuff, then it is important to use an older carb that was not designed for all of the smog equipment.

The Torker manifold is misnamed, as it is designed to produce power (high-rpm) and not torque. I think they are for 2500-6500rpm. You probably already know that and are building a sand or mud truck though.

4. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    GM trucks never had computer controlled carbs (CCC).

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you view it, thats not true.

At least for '85/86 it was used on some applications, as far as I can tell from the parts manual, CA applications only. (E4ME as I recall)

All else is good info though /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If it is the computer controlled carb then you would also need a non-computerized HEI and possibly need to rewire the 700R4 TCC lockup. None of that is hard to do.

6. dyeager535

Yeah, but if the Q-jet is considered close to fuel injection for performance, a CCC Q-jet takes that one step further.

There is NO reason to get rid of the CCC setup. Something that attempts to maintain 14.7:1 at cruise, while acting like a "normal" carb at WOT, is a good thing.

Just because it's somewhat complex doesn't mean it's not useful. What are we typing on now? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(in other words, I think ditching CCC is a bad idea in most cases)

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

ok, so how can i have my buddy find out if his rig is computer controled? he is a state away. is the computer behind the glove box like on a tbi truck?