Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing axles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Strahan, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Hey all. I have an 83 Jimmy with 10 bolt front/rear and after reading all the talk about better axles I figure I should put them into my planning. Money not being a big issue, what should I get? I'm not very mechanically educated, I work under the hoods of computers more than cars hehe so I'm not entirely certain as to what I want. It's primarily a road truck, I do some offroading through forests and creeks and up hills, wanna try some mudding too. I know I don't "need" to beef up my stuff for my light usage, but I figure if someone is available that's better I wanna get it :)

So.. any suggestions?

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

If money is no problem I would call or visit the friendly people at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dynatrac.com>www.dynatrac.com</a>. They can hook you up with a nice set of custom axles, and you can even keep the 6 lug rims..wow. They can make it a bolt in situation too, with one weekend you could be crossing streams and dusting the trails with no worries!

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

before you spend any money lets here the plans for the truck.
    what size tires do you want to run etc...
    if you never plan on larger then 35s the stock difs will be fine with regular inspection and maintainance.
    just regear and add lockers

formerly 77chev

4. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

My only plans so far are a 454 swap, new cap, Super Swamper SSR-024R 35x12.5 tires, Ultra wheels (6 lug). I love these wheels, but if 8 lug is the way to go I can change. I also want to convert to disc in the back if it's feasable.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Since you are planning to run a big block I would just 1 ton it and be done with it. Also if you plan to keep the 1/2 ton running gear and deside to regear and go with moly axles and lockers the cost will be the same as just buying a set of 1 tons.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

6. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I went to the Dynatrac site and looked at some of the stuff. They mention dual piston disc brakes available. If I got a 1 ton axle with that brake setup, i'd prolly have to replace the rest of the brake components (lines, mst cyl, etc) right? But I figure if I'm gonna do it I wanna do it right.

7. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Listen to m_j, and others on the spending money thing. It can get out of hand quickly. You can build a better truck if you take the time to plan it, collect parts as money allows, and then start putting it together. You mentioned 35 SSR's. May not be the best tire for your needs. You mention some aluminum rims, again, has good and bad points to them, Also mentioned dual pistons, instead do a hydro-boost, talk about a 454, might need beefer transmission or the one you have modified. These are things to think about. Sure you can pay someone else to do it, but I would bet with the help from others on this board, you can tackle most of it yourself, learn along the way, and the end product is your own creation. Just my 2cents worth. Also, many parts, (axles -wayne), can be had for much cheaper than dynatrac. Yea, I know they make great stuff, but so does Boyce if you want to drop 4K for axles. Yea, yea m_j, I should talk about spendin money, but I still like my truss. LOL.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Skip Dyna money and give me a holler. I sell 1 ton stuff and sold many axles to members here and I am only 40 minutes from you over in Gettysburg.[​IMG] I hooked General up with his axles to name 1 of them.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I'm runnin a 454 also. 1 ton will be the way to go. Talk to Wayne. I have delt with him in the past. good honest guy. I am tryin to hook up agian with him for my d60 front. There are some rear disc sets that will go onto a 14bolt. I got mine from this site. I can't remember who though!! was awile ago.

you're right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I think you got yours from Misfit.