Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing bad parts=Runs worse

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 3, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I just took a Holley carb off a 454 motor, since it wasnt running right. I put on an Edelbrock which ran PERFECT on another 454 I had.

When I first started it with the Edelbrock on, all it did was backfire and shoot flames up. Eventually I got it to run and idle. It didnt seem to change much, and it still had a dead spot in it. So, I looked at the plugs, which looked very worn. So I replaced the plugs.

Now, it dies all the time. It still pops back through the carb, and when I try to drive it, all it does is sputter, hesitate, and lack power. It ran better with the junk plugs and Holley carb that needed a rebuild.

I hate it when replacing bad parts with good ones makes something run worse! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I cant even drive it now. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does this motor have a centrifigal advance in the distributer? Sound like mine did when the weights rusted up and were stuck in the advanced position.

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

It's an old points distributor (1973) that looks to have an electronic conversion. There are wires coming out from the base of the cap.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Your problem is in the distributor.
    You said you took the carb off an other 454 that was running good, swap that distributor out and see what happens.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif