Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing Bearings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Dec 26, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Ok Im trying to replace my bearing in the front in of my 84 K10 (10bolt) I took off the warn hub cover and see a spring in the cover and see some type of gear thing with another gear thing that goes over it. How do I get that off and am I gonna need axle grees? any help at all will be appricated

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

In order to get the hub gears out, there's a locking clip that goes around the axleshaft itself. Take that off and the guts will come out. Then, you'll need a spindle locknut socket. (looks like a huge socket with 4 prongs coming off it...can buy it at a parts store ~$10. Called "spanner-nut socket" *I think*) Anyway, take that nut off, and then you can pull the hub off. And yes, you'll need to grease/pack the new bearing. (Make sure you get a new race for the new bearing)

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

what if you dont get new races? and I have that socket but it dosent look like anything will fit that that I see btw just regular axle greese?

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

You'll want new races...because the old ones have ground down somewhat (have a wear mark) to match the old bearing. A new race is the best bet for long bearing life.
    There is wheel bearing grease you can buy...and that's probably the best. It's moly grease..I think, but there are other greases out there that work too.
    The thing to use the socket on is a nut (looks more like a washer by looking at the dimensions of it) with 4 holes/indentations around the outside. You won't be able to see it with the hub guts still in there, and there are plenty of washers and other stuff in the front-end as well...so dig around with a screwdriver and see if you're looking at a regular washer and behind that the spindle nut may be hiding. Lay everything out on the ground in an orderly fashion, so it all goes back in the same order.

5. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

use a high temp grease and the socket is called a lock nutt socket,try this
    take off your tire
    take off you brake caliper 2 bolts with allen type
    take off the hub
    take off the 2 lock nutts that hold the hub on
    then the hole hub will slide off
    ill respond later im going to dinner,sorry

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Most hubs have a locking ring holding the hub into the housing. It's a wire ring about about 3 inches in diameter. It fits into a groove that's about 1/4-inch inside the wheel hub. It takes a thin screwdriver to pry it out of the groove. Then you also have to remove the snap ring that's on the end of the axle shaft. If you can't get a grip on the hub innards to remove them, screw a couple of the screws that were holding the outer part of the hub into the inner part of the hub. Then you can use those screws as handles to slide the inner section out. Then you'll finally be able to see the bearing lock nut. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif