Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing belt, can't turn tension bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HUNTER543, Aug 30, 2005.

1. HUNTER543

HUNTER543 Newbie

I am having trouble replacing my serpentine belt, I cannot get the tension bolt to budge. Any suggestions?

2. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are you trying to remove a bolt? You should be able to put a wrench on the head of the bolt on the idler and turn it clockwise. The idler is spring tensioned, and will rotate enough to loosen the belt.

3. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

4. HUNTER543

HUNTER543 Newbie

not trying to remove, just turn so the pulley turns

I have never replaced the belt or tensioner on this truck, but in the past I have on other vehicles - and I never needed to put much force on the wrench to turn the pulley assembly and remove the belt. I have cranked on this one pretty good with no luck. A friend suggested it is the tensioner, but as far as I know (again, from experience on other vehicles) the tensioner is mechanical; if anything were to go wrong with it (only a few parts), it would be the spring busting, which would cause the belt/tension pulley to be loose. I have never heard of a tensioner being stuck in the LOAD position. Any other thoughts?

5. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I didn't realize you were familiar with the setup. Ive never disassembled the tensioner (because it says not to or you will get hurt :eek1:), but I would assume there is a bushing in the middle of the tensioner that might be corroded. It seems unlikely that it would freeze up, but if that were the case you should be able to carefully take either the idler bolt out or the bolts holding the tensioner. As the bolts loosen it should be apparent whether or not the tensioner is indeed working. If it continues to put tension on the belt, I would stop and go to plan B.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, get us pics so we can see exactly what you are trying to break,,,, :dunno:

what type of engine are you working on?