Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing blower motor?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JROSS, Dec 19, 2003.

1. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

I need to replace the blower motor and was wondering if the fan is pressed on or is held on by a nut. The guy at the parts store wasn't sure it the new ones were press on fans or not. LMC's motor's require you to buy a new fan. I just want to make sure I get all the parts at once because I live 45min from the parts store.
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My 85' just had a nut on the shaft when I replaced mine.

3. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Blower motor at AutoZone was about $50. All I needed was brushes. $2.00 at hardware store. Good as new. Oiled it up while I had it out.

4. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

The problem I have is I live 40 mile from the parts store. I'm at work right now, so I can't pull the motor until I get home. I'm trying to get the parts while in town so I can fix it this weekend.

I'm not sure if my problem is the brushes, The thing squeals like a stuk pig, and occasionally sticks, so I think its a bearing going out. Anyways thanks for the advice.

Oh yea, Kragen here is only $18.00 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

All the GM ones that I've worked on (which has been on EVERY freakin' GM vehicle that I've ever owned! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif ) had a nut to hold the fan onto the blower motor shaft. That's from my '70 Nova to the '94 Suburban. So it's a pretty safe bet that yours is held onto the shaft with a nut. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW, if you have a 5/16's socket with you, you can unbolt the blower motor from under the hood in about 90 seconds, so you can pull it out easily and double check. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Blower motor at AutoZone was about $50. All I needed was brushes. $2.00 at hardware store. Good as new. Oiled it up while I had it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

you got robbed. I got mine from autozone here for $15.

yes the fan is held on by a nut. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Might want to take a look at the screws holding the blower in place. Probably ISN'T the problem, but I noticed mine started making noise, and that the screws that hold it in place are loose.

No chance to figure out if that was the cause or not, but if the motor is loose, the fan can probably hit the case.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The problem is that GM used a motor that has no bearings, just bronze bushings. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif When they reach about 8-10 years old, the bushings will start to squeak and make a sound like someone is choking a parakeet under your dashboard. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif It starts out as something that only happens on the coldest of mornings, then gradually gets worse. Of course the bushings are installed such that you have to take the motor apart to oil them and in typical GM fashion it is held together by crimps instead of bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It is possible to pry one open, oil the bushings and replace the brushes, but the motors are too cheap new for me to bother with all of that. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply's. I was able to get it at Kragen for $20. Installed in about 5 min on Saturday. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif