Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing body mounts and bolt sizes?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70~K5, May 29, 2002.

1. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

To anyone that has replaced their body mount pads did you write down what size and lengh bolts you used for standard mounts and how many of each. I have a Energy Suspension set coming and would like to have the new hardware so I'm not runniong around for parts in the middle of the swap. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

This is a list from Steve Chin

Radiator Support: 7/16"-13 x 3.375" carriage bolt

Body Mount #1: 9/16"-12 x 6" hex head cap screw

Body Mount #2: 3/8"- 16 x 10" Carriage bolt

Body Mount #3: 3/8"- 16 x 5.5" Carriage Bolt

Body Mount #4: 3/8"- 16 x 4.5" Carriage bolt

Body Mount #5: 3/8"- 16 x 5.5" Carriage bolt

I used all those sizes when I put on my Energy Suspension kit.

3. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

I took that list to my local hardware store and they did not have some of it in grade 8, but other than that it worked great.
    I suggest you lossen all bolts (or even remove all nuts, but leave bolts in). Then replace one bolt at a time. I took all bolts out of one side, jacked up the truck, put in the new mounts, lowered the truck... and then had a devil of a time getting the bolt to drop down through everything. If you do one bolt at a time the body won't be inclined to shift... Including 1000 trips to my local hardware store (some of the included washers did not fit because... well long story). Anyway, with airtools and a floor jack I did it in half a day.
    Good luck.

4. NuBombs72K5

NuBombs72K5 1/2 ton status

Let us know how it goes for you. This is the next thing I've got to do. Thanks Triaged for reposting Steve Chin's list.

5. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yeah, please let us know how it goes. when do you plan to do the job? i plan to do the same in a few weeks. i just ordered the std complete body mount kit from gmcpaul. he was out of stock, so i'm not sure when i will see the parts.