Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing body panels: whats best/easiest/efficient??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Oct 23, 2003.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

its the front left fender on an 87 k5 blazer, would it be best to go to auto panels plus or like chevyduty.com to get it, will they fit good, is the quality comparable. or is my best bet and fit to go to the salvage and see what i can come up with?? thanks for your help..

2. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

I would go to the salvage yard they always have tons of chevys parts, if all else fails try sort-a-fit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

whats wrong with ur current fender? if the damage/rust is anywhere near the wheel well, you could always just do some massive fender trimming. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If thats not ur style, I'd second the recommendation to go to a good sized yard. Bound to be lots of fullsize chevys there. If ur rich and $ is no object, you could always just get a full OEM-quality replacement from someone like LMC.

j

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

OR if you want to be like me and have new-ish looking fenders for little money, buy some fiberglass and bondo and start grinding/sanding/whirewheeling that rust away!

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The way to get the best fit and stronger metal then the after market parts are to buy NOS parts Go to the dealer and let them know that you want New Old Stock (NOS) Parts. Youll pay more for them but they are a lot better product.

Michell Estamating Guide 81-88 Left Front Fender Part # 15614467

6. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

try www.hanneman.com they build real nice fiberglass fenders for all years of the chevys I run them now because I got sick of replacing body panels everytime they would get dented up. now when the fenders get hit I just pull out the fiberglass and in about an hour they look brand new again. they dont dent and will flex around unlike sheet metal.

7. XHitman396

i cant afford the NOS style, and i sorta hit a bridge so just trimming it out would require losing most of my grill /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and is this remanufactured stuff fit good enough, and im sorta skeptical on the fiberglass part, is it better/same/worse overall than stock steel? i presume from the reply's that the remanufactured ones from like LMC fit pretty good, my buddy has an account there so i got em for cheap, but i heard the quality was not good, thanks yall....

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the best, easiest, and most effective way?

Remove it, and don't replace it. less body to have to screw with

9. XHitman396

well zakk i cant really argue with that, but i am a fan of good looks /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. tayv

tayv Registered Member

I just replaced both of my fenders with brand new after market parts. the total was 120.00 I purchase them from Olympic 4X4 in snohomish, Wa www.olympic4x4.com This was easier and quicker then fixin dents or the rust outs.

11. XHitman396

well what was the quality with the after market, was the gauge steel comparable, was it a piece, as of now i think i may jus get the aftermarket, unless someone has a strong opinion against them....thanks for your help btw