Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing bushings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sapper, Jun 28, 2003.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok i just got done putting ORD shackles and greasable bushings in the front of the truck, and besides and few stubborn bolts and one smashed finger in a sawsall accident it went pretty good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, since thats done i started to take apart the rear and while the shackle came apart easy i almost fell over when i moved up to the spring eye in the front of the rear leaf, how the hell do you get that thing out? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, i dont think i can get a wrench or rachet in from the frame side with out some more grinding unless someone can tell me what i missed. TIA

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

if you're talking about removing the bolt, i just had to stick a wrench up in there at an angle. having a buddy to help is a good idea too. as for the old bushing, i'd just burn it out.

3. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Use some vicegrips or better yet an angled boxed wrench. Or sometimes you can get on it with an open wrench from the top. Then a breaker bar on the outside. Should be able to pull the bolt right out, but make sure you take any tension out of the spring otherwise it will fight you the whole way

4. sapper

thanks guys. I'll try the open end wrench first, hopefully I'll be able to tighten it enough /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, if i can get the camera working im going to put some pics up of the front done with the zero rates.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmm, just the other day someone was asking what the heck a Saltus wrench is good for... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif That's one of the places that they're handy. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif A deep offset closed end may fit up into that area also. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. sapper

guess i shouldve looked at a little more, i got to the nuts by going from the top down and its slips right on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Oh yea what in the world is a Saltus wrench?

7. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh yea what in the world is a Saltus wrench?

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

8. sapper

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    P=Plenty, Unoffical demolition calculation used by Combat Engineers

[/ QUOTE ]
    That reminds me of another gov't/military "standard of excellence":

"Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, then cut it with an axe"

10. sapper

HAHA...it worked out real good, alot of times we were catching rounds when doing demo runs so instead of getting the calculators out it turned into 2 blocks of C-4, half satchel or full satchel, pull smoke and get moving!!!

11. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    alot of times we were catching rounds when doing demo runs

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Just see my sig... My hat's off to folks that are willing to have people shooting at 'em so the USA can remain strong and free! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

did you ever get paid harry?

13. HarryH3

Post Hijack Alert! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    did you ever get paid harry?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Threre's a long story behind it, but Jameson's mommy is overnighting me a money order on Monday. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I'll update that thread on Tueseday. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif