Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing Cab supports 73-87 4x4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by merc359, Aug 26, 2006.

1. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Mar 25, 2005

I am in the process of replacing my cab supports (front) and mounts on my truck. This is a common problem on chevy trucks as you well know. In order to bolt the cab to the frame, a bolt went up from the bottom, through the mount, and into the cab support. Within the cab support there was a goofy weld-in nut that the bolt mated onto. While taking off the cab, surprise of surprises, the bolt snapped in the mount. After inspection it become clear I had to replace the whole supoort and part of the floor.

I cut out the relevant sections, and some one in my shop, being far too bloody industrious, tossed out the cut out sections leaving me with nothing to look at. I have since ordered and received new OEM weld-in cab supports, but they seem to have no provision (other than a hole) for the bolt to actually thread into.

What do I use? Is there an aftermarket part for the bolt to thread into that did not come with the cab support? Do I need to just weld in another ultra-lame nut to the support and go from there? This seems like simply a bad design and doomed for future problems.

Any suggestions?

I have attached a picture of the cab support that I have (both a top and bottom shot) for review but am a noob at attaching images and don't know if it'll work.

Cab Support Pic.jpg

Cab Support  2.jpg
  2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

Mar 24, 2004
    now would be the time if you want to improve on the factorys way of doing this. i would put a spacer in there and use a longer bolt so you can put a nut right under the floor and make is so you can use a ratchet on both sides.