Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing carrier

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MA87K5, Nov 1, 2002.

1. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

I want to replace my open carrier with the new eaton lsd. What I would like to know is will I be way off on the backlash and preload on the carrier bearings? Or will the shims that r there be good enough. I do have new bearings and adjustable shims. Thanks.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> When you put in the LSD, start with the original shim packs and measure the backlash, then go from there. You should measure the backlash before you take the original carrier out and try to get the backlash the same with the new one. As for bearing preload, just stuff as many shims as you can get into it, you want to have to tap the carrier into the housing. If it just slides right in real easy then there's not enough preload. </font color>

3. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

What other stuff can I use to mark the gears to check the wear? Thanks

4. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

I found some at NAPA. It is called Prussian Blue made by Permatex for NAPA.

5. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

Today must be my lucky day. I am done with the install. The wear marks were identical to the ones that are already on the ring gear. I have the same play between the ring and pinion. To top it off there is no noise coming from the rear at all in drive, coasting in drive and reverse and coasting in reverse. Before I lowered off of the jackstands I used a mechanics stethascope and listened and heard the fluid swishing. Very happy with my work. I know "don't count your chickens before they hatch". But hey maybe I did get lucky. Thanks for everyone who helped. Thanks to Shaggy who gave me info.