Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing cigarette lighter receptacle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FL84K5, May 3, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to replace the cigarette lighter? What holds it in? How are the wired attached to it? Mines dead and I need somewhere to plug my portable CB in. Thanks

2. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

Are you sure it's the recepticle? Mine is dead also but the wire has no power. The fuse is fine. The wire connects with a simple female connector. Get a test light and check for power before getting a new recepticle.

3. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Probably easier to take a peek @ replacements @ Wal-Mart/K-Mart/Parts store and see how they are mounted. Normally an outside shell that threads onto the dash piece from the back (front has bezel & connections, the outter shell, and then the element/pop-out piece). Depending on the ground (via dash or seperate wire), they plug into back. Make sure and check your fuse as well! I've added them all over my sub for convienence!

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The cig lighter in my Blazer is bad also. I'm consittering getting a 3-way power port. ( looks like 3 cig lighter receptacle ) I'll probley mount it under the dash.

5. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Well, I got it to work and now I can't find my handheld CB.

6. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

for future reference, the little metal sleeve is threaded and has another peice that holds it in. I replaced mine last year with a generic "replacement" one and it worked great.. kind of a pita and not a very clear explanation but if you take a look you'll see what I mean.

mike