Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing door window weatherstrip/channel...how hard?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by smack, Feb 8, 2003.

1. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

My door window weatherstrip channels are in need of replacement and I was gonna get the package from LMC but am wondering how much of a PIA this is and how much of the window mech. needs to come out.
    Anyone??
    smack

2. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

I replaced mine with parts from LMC last summer. They fit and work great. I think I just rolled the window all the way down to put them in. The hardest part was getting the piece that wraps around the other three sides to go all the way down the channel at the front or back side. I think it took me about an hour per door, but I work kind of slow.

3. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

k, thanks

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

does the kit come with instructions?

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

when I did mine for the windows, I was swappin in new doors...so my interior panels were off. Plus, the glass and tracks were out of the door. it was MUCH easier this way. If you can take off your panels, and pop the glass off the track, then undo the track, pull it out and put it on...

I can't tell you how long it took, because we did the entire door swap at the same time.

Brandy

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

It's a snap...after I pulled the old ones, I cleaned everything, since I was replacing the PW motors at the same time, Dynomat on the interior skin of the door....goobered the new ones with Silicon Lube and just slid 'em in...expando-gator clips hold them in the channels at top and around the pillar side...if all yer doing is the door channel, I'd say 15 minutes per door...the Vent Window/w channel is a PITA...somebody in here made their own so they didn't have to remove the Vent window channel...good luck... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

great, thanks, I should address my vent windows as well since they barely move, PIA!

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd consider taking them out or tearing the door down far enough that you can really clean them up since Vent Assy's are like $140ea from LMC...mine cleaned up pretty good, but I'd like to replace the metal knob/handle/thingy so they would close tighter...right now I have 'em sorta "wedgied" with nickles...Looks Cheap, but ya know, Quarters are just too big...good luck.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif